Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jul 1996 20:21:02 -0700
From:         mizamook@sonic.net
Subject:      Paint/Derust

Hey everybodies!

I must say...I'm glad to be back in the land of the virtually-living! I've been sanding, bondo-ing, painting the interior and doorjambs and the upper roof under the pop-top in preparation for a trip to Miracle. Well, Edward (time for a name-change?)our '81 Westphalia AIRCOOLED Vanagon is there now, and I have some time! I feel a loss of energy from the void of having a huge project finished...almost....for now..take a look inside your VW's, volks....picture yourself masking it all off, or taking it apart, out, etc....bleah! Yet, for all its frustrating stuff, it was a labor of love...when we see him again, he will be "Brilliant Teal Metallic" NOT "Vomitous Yellow"!!

WARNING! I found scads of rust lurking in places that I thought were sound....I was amazed to find that the bottom of the sliding door was totally rusted out....that's when I learned how to use Bondo! Many nooks and crannies were flakey, and some of the "pinholes" that looked like simple spots of exterior rust had actually spread way under the paint without rippling the paint. Under the window rubber, also, is really scary! Check your busses (Watch the skies)....I've had a '62 Deluxe on loan that was a total rustbucket..poor Gus(met his end when a dumptruck lost brakes)....our present one is from 1981.....I shiver at the thought of all those poor VW's that are older than that, and haven't been de-cancered.....and here I am looking at a cute little '66 bug with fine surface rust over much of the roof and FENDERS!

BTW, does anyone know of a good supplier for window/door/poptop rubber seals? I don't think I can get anything good from Whipme, and have {HINT} not yet received a Busboys catalog, or word of how to get one....really, now!

Take care friends, and know ye that I, too, wave! :}

Gene