Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jul 1996 10:47:30 -0400
From:         VWwesty@aol.com
Subject:      Vacation ends with a braacckk!

Well, I thought this was going to be a glowing report on how well the '81 Campmobile did on vacation after our fuel pump relay fix. Actually we started out OK. Went from Cleveland, to Sugarcreek OH in southern Ohio. From there to Philadelphia. Philly to Kutztown PA. Back to Philly. Had a wonderful time everywhere we visited. Then hop onto the PA Turnpike to head home. And a few miles west of the Harrisburg West exit - BRAACCKK-K-K-K! I pull her over, Bob jumps under the van, and after he yells "Turn it off!", I knew what the problem was going to be, the torque converter flex plate had self destructed, again. This was the second one that has gone bad on the van. The first one self destructed 1,500 miles after a rebuilt engine was installed. It was from the old engine. We figured that maybe it had cracked when the old engine that had seized up.We installed a new one, and then this one died 1,500 miles later. Something is not right with this picture. It leads me to ask some questions:

1) Has anyone else had flex plate problems, and what was the cause?

2) Could the torque converter be out of balance? It was incredibly crusted with rust when it was pulled to install the new engine. Alot of the crust was chipped off. Could this unbalance it? Or could it have been thrown out of balance when the old engine dropped a valve seat and seized up?

3) Does the crankshaft end play have to be adjusted when installing an engine with an automatic trans? The factory manual only describes checking end play when intalling the engine with a manual transmission.

Any input on this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lisa