Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:27:59 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      re: My Volkswagens-an EPA Danger

The reason states like CA require every dinky bit of smog stuff to be present 20 years later is because they admit that the tail-pipe test is far from thorough. Which, having observed a bunch of 'em (I paid, I watch) I can't argue with. Since most mechanics AND vehicle owners are at best semi-competent, legislation took the easy way out and required whatever nightmare the OEM built to be maintained as-is and the tail-pipe test is simply the most obvious way to validate the equipment is working. Fiddly bits like EGR valves are still verified separately. With due respect to previous posters, its neither true that people need to be forced to save the ice caps, nor is it true that all emissions regulation, equipment and inspection are a scam by big business. The automotive sources of smog in densely populated California cities was well documented in the 1950s. Emissions controls have made a huge difference. The voters and taxpayers have largely supported this. Industrial sources have been curtailed, though money plays a role here and more could be done. We old car fans simply do not show up in the polls, but we don't speak with one voice either. When I say 'old' I mean Vanagons at this point- the newest Vanagon is about the age of the 'average' car in California - '91, yes? Don't forget that when people see a visibly poluting car, it is almost always an old car which has been poorly maintained. This certainly reinforces a belief that old cars pollute. You seledom see a brand new 8 liter extended cab pickup truck, the current 'family car' in my neighborhood, leaving a trail of grey haze behind it. You see a '70s sedan of indeterminate color, sagging at one rear corner. We're pretty lucky in the USA- In Japan and the Netherlands, auto taxes RISE every year, so old cars are more expensive to own than new ones! Bill