Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:17:30 -0600
From:         jscohen@m2.sprynet.com (James Cohen)
Subject:      Re: refridge flame blowout

>The 12 V feature does draw quite a bit of current, but if your altenator and >battery are in good shape you should be OK unless you leave the fridge on >when the engine is off.

This is incorrect. The system is designed to only deliver current while the engine is running, ie. drawing current from the alternator. Unless you modify the circutry to defeat this feature, the refridgerator will NOT run in the 12V mode while the engine is off. Obviously this is to protect the battery from being drained. Don't beleive me? Look in both Bently and the owner's manual.

I've NEVER had the flame in my fridge blow out on any of my Vanagons while I was driving and I would definately dispute the notion that the system is not designed to be used while driving. There are troubleshooting procedures that I've seen on this list that pertain to fixing problems that will cause blow out while driving.

>If you are going to use the 12V a lot, you should >get the 2 battery set up with a battery isolator and run the fridge off the >non-ignition battery.

>leonard jones

New York City, and Williamstown Ma

Alternate address: stirling@aol.com (which gets checked more often)

Red '93 Corrado VR6 SLC (Highly modified) Red '87 GTI (mostly modified) (soon to be a G60!) and '67 deluxe split window (9 pass.) '71 Westy Breadloaf (high performance engine B&B) 81 (for Sale),'85 Westy Vanagons '83 9 passanger Vanagon '66, '74 busses (decomposing) ----------------------------------------------------------