Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:02:44 -0700
From:         natasha!kombi@adobe.mv.us.adobe.com
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer cooling (was:Re: aftermarket instrumentation)

Well, this *is* a list for VW transporters, isn't it? sorry, but I've owned a '57 for twenty years, and it never was a good truck in any real automotive sense. Yeah, I'll probably get flamed, but I like the VW despite the fact that they have problems cooling! My old air-cooled version *really* needed to be rested. Often. The water-cooled one is much better. I even run my A/C sometimes.

VW's were bad cars for many American drivers. If you didn't adjust the valves twice a day, and change the oil every 1200 miles (three times on a cross-country trip?) they died short horrible deaths. My '57 died more horrible deaths, more times than I can remember.

They were cheap. That's why people bought them in the first place. Later busses were not-so-cheap, and people's expectations seemed higher. Well I waited until they were cheap, and my expectations are based on driving an even more flawed beast than a waterboxer for 20 years.

I think you need a sense of humor and realization that you drive a VW just because you are a VW person. An old Dodge van will be cheaper, and probably have more luck with those who expect their van to actually reach any particular destination.

We are driving up to Alaska in two weeks, perhaps we'll see them Inuvik folks, but I *never* plan on being anywhere at any particular time, so I a m not trying to meet their schedule. Schedules, VW's and me don't get along. Last trip we spent several days visiting unscheduled repair shops on an 8000 mile trip around the country. It was fine, freed us from commitments.

I guess I'll always be a VW person. I'll probably not ever buy a new one, though.

malcolm