Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:53:15 -0700
From:         bnorton@well.com
Subject:      Country Homes Camper?

Excuse me for barging in here, don't even own a Vanagon yet; however I do own two other vehicles with horizontally opposed aircooled(oop's wrong list!) engines one two cylinder the other six --- and looking for a four to complete the set ;-) Which brings me to why I am here, I am looking at a 90 Vanagon GL camper with 40K miles driven by a little old lady -- really she is selling it, it seems to be in good condition too. The camper conversion was done by an outfit called Country Homes Camper in Scotts Valley California. Since it is not the Westy(not trying to be cool here, I just can't remember how to spell the proper name) I am trying to establish the value of this vehicle and the quality of the camper conversion compared to the Westy.

It has a 2 burner propane stove, frig and sink and two batteries and a pop up camper top. The top is 3/4 length that pops straight up, sounds like the Rivera conversion mentioned elsewhere on this list. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion, or know what the current value is? It seems to be well maintained, the original tires were recently replaced, some fuel hoses replaced and a new water pump, she mentioned it has a weak AC which the mechanics have been unable to improve. The only problem I have with the vehicle it that it is an automatic, I would prefer a manual transmission so as not to waste any of that little engines power. I am planning to test drive it later this week, any tips or stuff to look for. She is asking $15,000 which seems a bit high; however she may be negotiable. Any information on this conversion would be appreciated. Bruce