Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:18:11 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright" <VWNUT@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: 88 westy roof rust

On 16 Jul 96 at 14:57, MERCER BARRY wrote:

> I am amazed at the speed at which topics come and go on this list... > here's my woe. I've already received good advice but I thought I'd toss > this one into the ring. Just bought a used 88 westy in great shape > only to discover rust around the seal of the fron luggage section of the > roof. How do I remove that cover to get at the rust and will I have to > remove the headliner inside? And further what to do with the rust. This was the first thing I did after getting mine in March. You can remove the top without dropping the headliner, just be careful the rear bolts don't drop through the roof. They are held in place with rubber grommets, and mine stayed in place nicely. Just remove the two front, two side bolts, pop the plastic caps on the rear nuts, and remove them. The top lifts off easily with two people.

Looks like I'll be doing it again soon - sanded, applied rust remover & two coats of Tremclad, but rust is showing already... aargh. I did rush it the first time though. :(

> Plus... one more thing noted that the impeller on the water tank pump was > off the shaft and further that the bottom of the whole contraption was > simply taped together. should I glue the whole thing together or use > plumbers tape!

I replaced mine with an external pump, so I can't comment on fixing these. Sounds like yours may be on its last legs... Shawn '88 Westy 332k (Kyra) '85 Jetta TD 350k (Jenni)