Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 16:46:27 -0400
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@usa.pipeline.com>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer cooling (was:Re: aftermarket instrumentation)

I don't like to do "me too" posts, but in this case I think I can contribute a significant data point:

John Wakefield said:

>(big snip) Instead, I'll bet there are lots of water >cooled Vanagon and Westie owners on this list whose machines >couldn't perform as you described yours doing.(another big snip)

Mine does just as well as Jim's.

Probably my worst case was ascending out of Death Valley one afternoon last August, while it was 108 degrees in the shade at Stovepipe Wells. Unfortunately, the road was not in the shade. This was on the order of a 6000 foot climb.

We had full fuel, propane, and water tanks, two adults, one child, food, bedding, baggage, tools and toys for a three week cross-country trip, in a 1990 Syncro Westie. We must have been close to 6000 lbs GVW.

I did turn off the a/c during long ascents. The water temp needle never moved completely past the little aperture for the warning light. The radiatior fan would go to the highest speed for brief periods while climbing in second gear, then cycle off (or down one notch). I did turn off the a/c whenever the fan went to high.

As a result, I have full faith in the basic design of the 2.1 liter wasserboxer cooling system.

Tom F. 90 Syncro Westie