Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 18:07:11 -0700
From:         mike@arnold.ca (Mike)
Subject:      Pop Top Seals..Hurrah!

Just thought Id post a quick note about my recent experience with new pop top seal. I was actually going to get the luggage rack seal as well but it woulda put me over budget.....which is weird since I always go over budget, but this time I stopped myself since I'll be leaving on my 2 week Vanagon trip in a week and a half now. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may need that money, but hopefully not for any van repairs. Anyhow, I purchasedit for $99.00 + shipping from California Imports out in BC. It was here in 3 days (the same day as my Bentley...hurrah again). I had already cleaned and prepped the pop top the previous week really well with a utility knife to trim off all the stuck on garbage, and then with a scrub pad and some hot soapy water. All that was left to do was to throw on some adhesive, which they recommended 3M adhesive for but I couldnt find so I ended up buying some generic goop at Canadian Tire for $5. It was kinda tricky putting on the adhesive since the seal lip was so skinny, it just meant I had to have a rag with me to wipe up any glue smears pronto. The aluminium seal went on great, really snug, and that was pretty much it. I took a peice of wood and a rubber mallet to the seal to make sure it was as snug as could be, and let er dry. It looks great compared to the rotting old one that was there, but now the luggage rack will meed one. But that can wait till I return.

the kindergarten mechanic. (no its not some wierd pedophelia thing, it just refers to my very limited knowledge of vechicles)

PS : I've collected 6 waves this week. 4 from older buses, 2 from what looked to be newer than 89. Average age was probably about 28. I havent seen to many people younger than myself (22) driving many yet this summer.

________ /________\ Mike Wynn (mike@arnold.ca) / = \ Arnold Publishing and Multimedia [ I_________ I ] Edmonton, Alberta I V I '83 Westfalia I (0) W (0) I =========== I_I I_I Nothing is easy. Life is not fair. Hindsight is bogus!