Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:50:55 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      fixing the rat (65 westy)

where was i ? it has become a blur. btw, my cat watched to make sure i did it all right.

the bus was up on the stands this morning, with one wheel off and one wheel on. I just happened to find 1 (one) front brake line in my new tune up parts drawer, so i switched it with the old one on the front right, put it back together with the new cylinders and cleaned and repacked the wheel bearing. lovely sense of accomplishment. unfortunately the bleeding valve broke off, and the only one i could find was in soory shape. :( put on list

i just ignored the left front wheel. but i felt it laughing at me and had a brief feeble attempt to beat it into submission, but i was humbled.

brake job 1/4 done :)

lets play get the motor running.... i made sure the wheels were all firmly attached to the bus, and let it down off the jack. slid under the bus and put it in neutral (in their infinate wisdom, the DPO removed the shifter stick, and i have to get a friend willing to get dirty to help put it together - later) i gritted my teeth and futzed with the carb (DP type 34 pict 3, not my favorite) until i was convinced that th passages were clear of the guck that was blocking them. it was a gooey brown stuff. the carb looked pretty clean and newish, nice and shiny. squirted gas when i asked it to, after reassembling the thing. so i bolted it back on, and looked up the line to the gas can in the bed area (fuel lines had leaked) at just about this point,

Mike drove up in the 66 standard, returning from his canadian/okanagan trek, with lots of glorious vw trinkets, including, but not limited to, an early (date code 11/58) ghia tachometer, a bug steering lock w/key, lotsa new old stuff from old vw shops, latches for early bug pop out windows, a tempered windshield for my 61's winter set which matched the one i already had, new german linkpins and swing lever kits for buses, a split case bug tranny, early (56-58) front bumper with a liscense plate with a 74 sticker on it (from a REAL HIPPY BUS), and lot of wierd old porcelain telephone insulators (they have Fred Locke pieces on the poles up there!) but this is the thing: a Blaupunkt TAPE PLAYER that can mount under the dash, or you pull it out and carry it around w/you while it plays off batteries. and you can record on it. and, i kid you not, on it's face it says SNOB 100. wow. sold through the vw dealership, but this one never sold as it was pricey, so the guys just used it in the shop, and when the dealership closed, one of the guys, who opened up a vw shop, took it with him.

so i put the wires together (no key) and the bus started!!!!!!!!!

it sounded terrible. wouldn't idle. big muffler hole sound, which makes sense considering the big hole in the muffler. air blasted out of the heater vents, and smelled stale, but not exhausty. it would keep going if i kept my foot on the gas. rumours from the peanut gallery had it that flames were spat out the carb, so i turned it off, and decided to finish the tune up process.

drain oil. gook in bottom of sump plate, but no chunks. its dirty and greasy under here. i want to take this to a car wash before i pull the motor to change the oil seals and fuel line. i let it drip while i went and ate. i pulled out the plugs, which were autolite, and tossed them in the garbage.v then i adjusted the valves (it had cooled enough) starting with #1 and #2, which were fine. the head looked old and dirty, though. then i went to #3 and #4. wipe away more cobwebs. the head looked new and shiny. wierd. did someone do a half *ssed rebuild? these valves were all very tight. hmmm. compression test time: they were all 120. wow. is this a functionable motor? i hope so. the end play feels fine. new Bosch plugs in. the plug wires were the kind that take the little brass things screwedonto the plugs, but they werent there on the old plugs. i put them on the new plugs, and cleaned the plug wire ends out, as they had ome kind of build up in there, not nice and shiny. i already did the points, but want to set the timing while it runs, i left it at slightly BTDC

started it up again. sounds better. :) still big muffler hole noise, and wont idle. i dont like these carbs. left it till later.

clara (we must save them!)