Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jul 1996 03:30:03
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      Re: List Vultures/Parts Dealers and the List

This is in response to Tim Smith, who, though he doesn't even know me, has seen fit to accuse me of being a "vulture" and some sort of big-time car dealer who is preying on the unsuspecting members of this list. Frankly, I believe that if Mr. Smith had a problem with me, he could have e-mailed me directly, but since he has seen fit to throw wild accusations and slander my name publicly on the list, I feel that I must respond. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth.

>OK, you paid $150 for this, apparently while a listy wannabusser >was trying to buy it also.

No, it was another list member who already owned a Vanagon, and probably wanted it for the same reason I do - as a parts bus.

>You've already sold the interior to a friend,

No, I offered the interior to my friend for whatever he sells his standard interior for, despite the fact that it is worth more. If he can't sell his, and still wants mine, I'll probably end up giving it to him or trading it to him for other parts. After all, he is a friend.

>and now you want some help figuring out what's wrong with the >engine, as presumably you'd like to sell it next?

Actually, I'd like to keep it as a spare for my '85, which has 140k on it. And if I don't end up using it, what's wrong with me selling it to someone who can use it?

>Perhaps it's time a commercial operation like yourself started >PAYING for some of the services it gets via this list, >notably free vehicle locating and free advice.

First of all, I resent the accusation that I am somehow "leaching" off of the Vanagon list. I am a regular contributor, and take the time to offer assistance and advice wherever I can. I am also providing Bentley manuals to the list at a whopping five bucks over my cost (and taking listmembers' personal checks). Certainly I'm not going to get rich on them, but I can get them at good prices and have been able to pass it on.

Secondly, what do you call a "commercial operation?" I sell used parts at the local VW swap meets, and periodically a bus or two, as do many of the fellow enthusiasts I know in the many VW clubs. There are a lot of us who buy, sell, and trade bus stuff. Usually I spend most or all of what I made at a VW swap meet on other parts for myself. If that makes me a "commercial operation" than there are a whole lot of commercial operations here. There are, in fact, several fairly large commercial operations who are regular contributors to this list. I for one appreciate the expertise of members from Bus Boys, Volks Cafe, et. al., who have much more experience than most of us do because they have worked on so many busses. I'm sure that they are getting business from the list (a whole lot more than I am, on my smaller part-time/ hobbiest scale). Good for them! They are helping us out, and we are helping them out in return! This is a mutually beneficial relationship.

>It's about time that this list realized that there are a few >people making a tidy profit on dealing parts for vanagons, Ron >being but one.

How do you know how much I am making? I don't even know you! For your information, this is the first Vanagon I have ever had for parts. I have been looking for a parts Vanagon since I got my '85 last fall but until now was unable to find one that I could afford.

>I don't like a commercial operation scooping up vehicles that >wannabussers may find ideal, at $150 startup price most people >could buy in. Instead we have a guy who's already parting it out >for a profit. One less bus on the road...

This is a parts bus. It is hit hard in the rear, needs head gaskets, needs glass, has a humming transaxle, etc. etc. It was a GREAT deal at $150.00. But it is ready to be a parts bus. >

>1) A 'normal' listie does not have ready access to a bankroll or >open line of credit $150.00? Come on!

>2) Most people require some time to check out insurance rates and >set up coverage, but anyone with a dealers license has instant >coverage available on a vehicle they purchase.

I don't have a dealer's license. I spent **_4-1/2 HOURS_** at NY-DMV on Staten Island today, cutting through red tape, speaking to my Nationwide agent long distance, paying $2.00 each to receive faxed paperwork from him, standing in lines, etc. etc. before I could get the $10.00 paper tag that I needed to drive the bus home.

>4) Finally, if your business is buying and selling car parts then >getting time off work to go pickup a vehicle doesn't even enter >into the picture does it?

If, on the other hand, you do freelance graphic arts from your home office, you can set your own hours.

>I wonder how many vehicles have been bought for dismantling or >resale by Ron Salmon alone using this list. Ron. .. want to field that one?

Okay. Two, including this one. The other one was from list member David Most, for $900.00 as I recall. Good thing I had a "bankroll or open line of credit." :)

Mr. Smith, before you go slandering people you had better get your facts straight. I frankly don't understand what your beef is with me that you would post such unfounded accusations against me, based purely on (incorrect) conjecture. Moreover, what troubles me is that if someone goes around slinging mud, some of it sticks even if it is totally false. You have harmed my name, and my reputation on this list, totally without provocation or basis in fact. What do you have to say for yourself, Mr. Smith?

Ron Salmon '63 Deluxe '85 Westy '87 Parts Vanagon weaseled from an unsuspecting wannabe