Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jul 1996 05:45:16 -0400
From:         JonR <jonr@empire.net>
Subject:      Bumming...

Yesterday while driving back from an interview (with a VW dealer, no less) the Temp light started flashing then the needle pegged... limped a mile or so down the road to the next exit and pulled off... as I pulled into a BK parking lot several Good Samaritans pulled in behind me, jumping out with extinguishers at the ready...Van looked like old Faithful....Steam plume 'bout 30 feet high...

called for a flatbed tow and 45 minutes later The Beast and I are sitting in the drive...

Question is: could a stuck thermostat have caused the head gasket to blow...?

I had done the Head gaskets and had a tiny crack welded on both heads back just after Christmas ('bout 10K ago) and she has been running just fine...not a drop...then 'bout two weeks ago I noticed when I got back from some errands that she had burped up 'bout a cup of coolant after I had stopped and gone inside...nothing since and couldn't even find where it had come from... the last coupla weeks have been quite hot and humid (90s and 80-90% humidity, too hot for New England)...

JonR

Hoping the Head isn't warped this time...