Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:00:35 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Re: What's the deal with naval jelly???

On 18 Jul 96, Rodney L. Boleyn wrote: <regarding Naval Jelly>

> What's the deal with this stuff? Does it work? Am I doing something > wrong? Is it intended for use on only the lightest of surface rust? > Is there anything that works better?

this is called Consumer Momentum.... a company can continue to sell a marginal product for years after if has been superceded by more effective ones, based soley on brand name recognition.

Naval Jelly was the only game in town for many years, and while it is still as good as it used to be, it never was really very effective.

Try some of the 'new generation' rust removers such as Extend (TM) that are sold right along side Naval Jelly. They convert rust (and skin it seems) to some other form that remains as a barrier coating for continued rust protection. These really aren't rust removers. They are more rust converters. To actually remove the rust takes good ol' abrasion or an acid dip. For many purposes, rust conversion followed by scraping, then more conversion of the freshly exposed rust is adequate.

-dan