Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 May 1996 12:54:18 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      Re: '83 H2O head gasket advice needed (long)

Tony,

Sorry you're having cooling system difficulties and sorry I haven't gotten back to you on your private note's question. I have reasons but no excuse. The reasons relate to the recent stock market behavior and my Westie dashboard/blower fan removal and restoration and since it's out, now installation of complete Alpine CD radio with external Alpine amp and all the expected down-stream components. I'm burried. I just read your newest note. Now I expect everyone is going to tell you that any combustion gas leakage into your coolant is an immediate tear-down and renewal indicator. Sadly, that's almost true. Sometimes they stabilize and don't get worse for a long time. I know of a Datsun (notice that I didn't say Nisson, so I'm getting back a few years) which had the head gasket leaking slowly into the coolant, and it was driven for five years after the innitial observation and head bolt retorquing during which time it eventually quit leaking. So it's possible to have it go either way, but that one was atypical and not directly representaive, though I think it had an aluminum head. A hugely important difference was that this Datsun's highest internal location within the cooling system was at the radiator cap. The Vanagon is about the worst in this regard I've ever seen, or at least as I write this, I can think of others like it but none worse. So the effect on you, the owner driver is made greatly worse by this Vanagon design. A traditional top of radiator fill and overflow tank design would have eliminated all of this, but VW made different elections. They improved the flow and lowered switch temperatures on later Vanagons, but these changes must have been done for cosmetic reasons rather than as responses to earlier design errors. They never did address the low fill point issue and its attendent effects. Several vehicles I've encountered have front mounted radiators with easy access to their nearby fill/reserve expansion tanks. Ok, so I put in above a weasel word - "almost." So you may be able to keep driving this thing for a bit even with a minor leak of combution gas into its coolant. One thing that almost certainly will help is altering your wiring to ensure that the radiatior fan comes on much earlier than it's original fine design causes. VW has corrective radiator mounted thermostats to switch the low and high speed fan circuits on at lower temps according to some list notes. I'm not sure I'd even bother checking there, as their prices are generally out of line with the rest of the world, and some competitive auto parts stores list and can order lower temp switches. I may do that too. Mean while, if you just run a wire pair from each of the radiator mounted thermostat fan control switches inside to a dash mounted manual switch, you can remove all doubt about when it comes on. The difference in mine was like night and day! Tow heavy loads? It's now possible by switching the radiator fan on high immediately. Your leak almost certainly will have to be repaired eventually, but this simple switch measure just may give to you some time to decide on your best course. That $1000 figure you quoted can be reduced to a much lower level. Hell, for less than that you can pick up a whole used engine if you have some classifies scanning time, which I'm trying to give to you. Now, let us assume you have the two pairs of wires soldered neatly into the wiring that plugs into the two radiator mounted thermostat switchces, and that they extend inside. Each of these pairs has one "hot" 12 volt lead. Please attach each of these to a middle terminal of a three position double pull double throw switch, one going to each side of the switch. Next, the other two leads should be attached to opposite corners of the remaining four terminals, keeping each lead on the same switch side as its corresponding hot lead. Don't worry about which two you leave unconnected of the 6 terminals on the double pull double pull switch. When this switch is in the center position (off), only the stock system controls the radiator fan. But when you flick your new switch to one direction, you'll hear your fan come on low, and at the other end, the high speed is called on, even with the ignition switch removed. So don't turn your motor off and leave with it switched on, or you'll be loading your battery. You have direct control, just as you do with your head lamps. Just a few notes. In case you don't have a VTOM (meter), a simple test light will tell you which of the leads of each pair is hot. Clip the aligator clamp to a good ground, and touch the other end to each lead. The two that light the bulb go to the center switch terminals. I considered joining these hot leads, but VW didn't up front and my Bentley just covers just up to 1984 Vanagons, so they may have done something trick with relays that joining them could screw up. So to be extra prudent, I decided to preserve their eletrically individual status. That's why I specified double pull double throw, which is two switches in one package. Finally, do a tidy installation. Unsightly installs are a road to pride loss in vehicle owners, and the effects are ultimately more difficult than a head leak. Another of my questionable opinions. The ph change radiator colorant test for combustion gas intrusion is pretty definative. Second opinions aren't required. Sorry. Unless you have some wierd additive, if it shows a leak, you have a leak. It's been around for long enough for patents to expire so competing brands are sold. Hope this gives you some time to plot your least cost high benefit corrective course. Even with no leak, having the manual override installed is a definite improvement and is equivelant to the extra forward control positions on an automatic transmission. Most driving does not require them. Finally, since I've decided to risk flames and personal attack by posting this to the list rather than privately, I'd like to thank Ron Soloman for being there when I wanted a used early Bentley shop manual. The photos have much better gray scaling than the current issue Bentley, and it has what I want for my '83 diesel without lots of other material I would need to filter out of consideration. I recognize that anyone who makes a second market in used VW stuff likely affects available supply positively and prices negatively. I'm glad salvage yards exist, and I'm glad non-professionals like Ron pick-up yard sale etc. VW parts for potential resale when they don't personally need them rather than let them quietly disappear from availablity. They lessened my already ridiculouly small chance of picking up a used Bentley or specifically needed VW part by their actions, but they hugely increased my chances of actually ever being able to fine one. I recognize that it's a mixed issue, but I'm a free market advocate and feel the net effect is unquestionably positive in my life. Thanks to all who perform that function IN AN HONEST WAY, and in my experience, that definately includes Ron. I'll not address this issue again on this list.

Best Wishes, John Wakefield