Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jul 1996 18:50:09 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: CCC's bay area explosives extravaganza!

At 03:16 PM 7/2/96 -0500, Martha wrote: > >I FEEL THE NEED TO BLOW UP SOMETHING! :) - AND July 4th is coming up. I <snip> >(because of CA law) are made to explode on the ground, rather than in >the air (I assume, so that you have a better chance of blowing your foot

A boring but not insurmountable problem. Buy several 4 ft weather ballons and a roll of baling wire, second only to duct tape in its universality of use. Then visit the local rent-a-centre and get a large tank of helium. Getting the picture ;>. Assemble about 4-6 pyro-erotic devices on a good length of baling wire (the reason for ' a good length' will be made apparent soon) for each balloon. Wire them on well, about a foot apart each. Slip the end of each wire through the biggest pinwheel you can find and add a washer then wind up the wire so the pinwheel spins freely. Attach to the balloon well. You're all set, now find a place with a large field of view, but difficult access and preferably many exits. Stay away from airports kids!! Check the local weather reports, particularly wind direction and speed, the need for this will also be made apparent.

If you are quick and coordinated you can light all six fuses and release your cargo of death before the first roman candle blows by your face, the second time we did this we used cigarettes as fuses!! =:O Just tape the fireworks fuse gently onto the cig. Then light the cigs and release the balloon.

Now, why the wind direction and a good length of wire. wellll.. the second time we did this the roman candles were a bit loose, and the wind was blowing from the park we were in, directly towards a housing development (tightly packed rowhouse quads with central parking court ;> ) The wind alone wasn't the problem, nor was the sloppy wiring, but togther... The first balloon got to treetop height and lit out horizontally at 30 knots, and the roman candles began blasting while we raved. The top candle shot its first ball out horizontally, a great show maybe 200 feet up, pinwheel leaving behind a monstrous shower of sparks looking like a giant Portugese Man-'o War. We were thrilled! Our monster roared again and again, but each time the top candle tilted a bit more vertically. After about 4 balls the candle pointed into the balloon and the next shot was fatal. By this time the ballon had arrived over the housing site, and it abruptly descended like some demon, spewing fire and thunder. We watched in awe as it dropped behind the roof of the houses, bright flashes lit up the rooflines, lights came one all over the place, we heard a scream. Great coils of fireworks smoke rolled up to the roofs from inside the parking area, adding even more to colourful ambience of the evening. Truly a 'Son et Lumiere' to remember, for us and the occupants.

as I said, pick an isolated launch area with many exits.

Tim 'Sparky' Smith