Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jul 1996 01:16:19 +0000
From:         bhkraft@gj.net (Brian Kraft)
Subject:      Re: Westfalia Dometic fridge and sink bowl trouble

>I've owned my 81 VW Westfalia for 11 years and have taken it from Yukon >Territory to Matzatlan Mex. For the first time my propane mode fridge won't >remain operational during the night and the sink drain plastic housing to >hose has broken making it kaput for use. Any advise on repair of both would >be appreciated. Found a RV center who will for $150 service Dometic fridge. > thanks > >Chris from Calif

The fridge's flue, burner and jet probably need cleaning. Here's my story:

Over the years, the fridge in my '86 Westfalia became harder and harder to light and keep lit. I would have to open the drain plug and attach a little hose and bicycle tire pump to light it. Last year the drain tube got clogged with what looked like reddish brown sand; dirt, rust and ash. I Took it to one of the "Camping World" chain stores (a Dometic dealer) but they were overbooked and couldn't get to it the day of my appointment which meant spending an extra night in a motel! I asked the Service Manager if there was a high altitude kit for the burner (I live in Colorado); he checked around and told me there was no such kit available. I got him to admit that the mechanics don't like to work on fridges in VW's, everything is small compared to what they're used to and there's very little room to work in. The mechanic broke a corner off of the cabinet trying to get the fridge out but it he repaired it acceptably. If you still have the fridge owner's manual, you might want to make it available to the service dept. just in case they need it for the service info that's in it. The mechanic told me that the pressure regulator has to be set just right or the fridge won't operate properly. The total bill was $105, all labor, no parts. Apparently it was pretty dirty in there as now the fridge starts right up with one click of the Piezo knob.

Brian Kraft <bhkraft@gj.net> Grand Junction, Colorado