Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         19 Jul 96 05:46:32 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: advice on exhaust repairs needed

Hi - Smog checkers don't like Cat Conv rattles, what happened to mine was that the Cat grid has started to melt from use and pieces had broken off and stater to rattle. The rattle sounds tell the smog checkers that the converter isn't working completely. Pieces of the CAT breaking off can damage the muffler also. Take the unit out and get rid of the rattling pieces. BTW, I've heard that the cat material has a decent resale value to metal scrap yards due some exotic metal in there. On one of my busses, in a fit of desperation, I completely removed the contents of the Cat Conv, (trying to solve anoter problem) and it still passed smog in AZ, retained the housing so everything still fit. Just nothing inside! Liquid Wrench is still the best bolt unlocking compound IMHO. If the rusted bolts are truly bolts and not studs, get good wrenches and twist them until they break, or cut off with saw. Not worth saving them. Work a LOT harder to save studs and inserts. Jeff - '80 Westi

david wrote - > 1) I've got a rattle in the Cat. converter. Do I necessarily need to > replace the converter? I know it won't pass emissions inspections > without it, but can I damage the engine by not fixing this?