Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 May 1996 20:25:59 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      Westie Audio Woe

I thought I was prepared to install a nice CD changer/usual inputs audio system in my Vanagon Westie, when I discovered I was missing a couple pieces, so I visited a high-end auto audio business. Without going into the diatribe to which I was subjected, I can say there's a well developed body of information/folklore surrounding audio system component selection and installation. I'd be very interested to hear descriptions of speaker placements that others have found which image well and create a satisfactory "sound stage." Apparently the distance from each speaker used in a given channel to the driver's ears must be nearly identical to avoid screwing up that channel's phase relationshiops, unless you install a compensating phase shifter. That's where my speaker placement ideas failed to measure up to high-end standards and I'm not ready to spend the money required to buy an adjustable "phase shifter" to time-align unequally displaced speakers. Anyone who's solved this tough dog problem in a Westie or knows anyone I could call who has, please let me know. Thanks

John Wakefield Help Help, I'm caught in the kelp!