Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jul 1996 18:41:11 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: $150 busses and wannabussers, piston slap...

> So, as I'm beginning to think about T4/EuroVans/Caravelle // whatever, >what exactly is Piston Slap and what was the problem? I'd look in the >archives but I don't know how to- instructions on how to get there will

it's enough to get the Eurovan engines rebuilt/replaced gratis by VW! An '92 was FS here with new factory engine for that reason, and I remember a couple of listies talking the same. Slap is from the bearings at the little end of the con-rod going bad, so the piston gets thrown out and clunks against the bvearing at top-DC. Can also be caused by piston pins loose in piston, the piston is still getting slapped about. Not good in the long run. Sounds like you are running on poor grade gas with the timing way off. May go away as the engine warms and oil gets up to the piston crowns, watch that excuse.

The $150 bus was scooped from under an ex-'79 Westy owner who was forced to sell his beloved Westy when on vacate in Colorado. Posted a 'help/FS' to list and amazingly.... Salmon bought it for $900, claimed another $1000 to ship to PA. Definately not a newbie, he asked the right questions, problem was it needed 3 tires to drive away and he couldn't come up with them as quickly as Salmon did. the $150 bought new PS rack/alternator/muffler also. Poor guy who got scooped was both peeved and saddened to think his Westy was either parted or resold. Had thought an appreciate listie was getting it. bye, tim