Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jul 1996 19:55:33 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Just got a 1987 Westy Syncro!!

Welcome aboard. Get the CV fixed before you drive in any water, sand, mud etc. You must take off the shaft to do it, so you may as well get it properly repacked (at both ends), main drive shaft, $500, pipes $150, yeah $1-2K unless you do all the work. The jobs aren't technically difficult, no special tools, but I think you have to take some care in getting the new driveshaft in and the front diff lined up properly. May want to use a real dealer for that, the labour can't be much, 8 bolts on the shaft, some fiddling/bolts at the front diff though. Exhaust is easy, tinkertoy job, just pre-soak in WD-40 etc a day or two before you attack. CV/axles are very messy, boots run $15, grease another $7-12, and use good proper CV grease. Time to buy a Bentley manual I'd say.

>I also can't seem to light that damn refrigerator on gas... any suggestions >there? I've read the fridge suggestions on the syncro page (I tried rapid >fire ignition plunges.. holding the B button down for 30 secs, etc.. but to >no avail... any tios would be GREATLY appreciated!!).

It isn't too bad to pull the fridge out, then take apart the burner area and clean out the rust scale and cobwebs, other than that keep trying :) Tim