Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jul 1996 23:51:00 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      New lawn ornament

Volks:

This week's episode of the further adventures of Ras Bulli Split has been pre-empted, not for Olympic coverage, but for something much more ...;)

The Thing has landed...actually it sort of limped (a little), but it is home none-the-less.

Liz. my mother and I drove up to Halifax on Saturday to pick up the '74 Thing I had purchased a few weeks back. After giving Barry [the fellow kind enough to sell the Thing to I], the rest of his cash and loading the new top and other misc. parts onto the back of the pickup, I fired it up and off we went.

Down the road about a mile or so, I pulled off into a filler station and proceeded to change the oil, grease the appropriate suspension spots, check tyres, octane boost the year-old gas and check all cables. Satisfied with the mechanics, I decided to remove the side curtains for the drive to my parents house [about 150 miles] as they were too hazy to see through clearly.

We set off, the Thing and I in front, Mother and Liz in the 3/4 tonne pickup behind...and and ever growing string of vehicles behind them ;). I kept the speed limited to 50mph as I did not want to stress the engine too much [it had been rebuilt less than 5k miles ago, but had sat for over a year]. About an hour down the road, the little red light of death came on...I immediately pulled off and shut it down. I had noticed that the engine compartment seal was well past the semi-useless stage of life when I first looked at it, so I figured that it has just gotten too hot and the oil pressure dropped as a result. As I walked around behind the Thing, I could see Mother and Liz making pointing gestures from the cab of the truck. I looked underneath and there was oil dripping from the skid-plate...great :(

After waiting about ten minutes the oil drip had totally subsided, I checked the dipstick and it was down a pint...I topped it up and decided to continue. Another 45 minutes down the road and the light stated to flicker again. Since I was also in need of petrol, I pulled off at another filler station, flipped the rear hatch to let it cool down, watched as another cup of oil ran out the back of the skid-plate. Once the oil-flow had subsided, checked the stick and it was down a pint. I topped up the oil, added fresh petrol, jumped in, turned the key...nothing :(

I checked the battery, it was fine. Checked the starter...no power. Checked the fuse box...all fuses fine. Lights worked, hazards worked...Hmm. As Mother was in a hurry to get home, I pushed it to one side, told the station attendant that I would be back with a tow-rope and drove the last 45 minutes home contemplating what was wrong ....

My step father and I returned a couple of hours later with a length of chain, a couple of shackles, and the spare bow-line from the family's dragger [1-1/4" braided nylon...lotsa strength]. We hooked the chain around the front axle and tired the line to it. I then went for the longest 30 mile ride of my life...being towed at dusk with no lights [the hazards quite halfway home] ...at 50 miles an hour no less.

Finally reaching my parents driveway, I hooked a charger up to the battery and gave up for the day.

This morning, I was up early and under the Thing. I quickly found the problem with the hazards and lights...I was standing on the brakes so hard going down a couple of the hills while being towed that the extra pedal travel had caught a wire hanging from the dash and parted it. After correcting this, I put the key in and turned it...the starter turned, but that was it. I new I was getting fuel as I had now flooded the carb, I pulled a plug wire...nothing, bridged the points...nothing, nothing coming from the coil either...Hmm! I went to the other end and started tracing from the ignition...and voila! The PO had decided to install a kill switch in the ignition up under the dash...flicked the switch and it started right away! I must have hit this while I was climbing out at the filler station yesterday.

So we were back on the road, Liz and I took the ferry from NS to NB and then started the hilly last 60 miles home. The red light of death didn't come on until we were idling at a stop light two blocks from home. However, I noticed on a couple of the long grades that the clutch slipped a little, but only in 4th gear [or at least it felt like the clutch]. The car is also next to impossible to get into first gear without *some* clunk-n-grind...and then the fact that I am loosing a pint of oil every 100 kms...yet another lawn ornament.

For those of you who made it this far...

I haven't pulled the skid plate and all the tin yet, but it looks as though the main seal has given out [the year of sitting no doubt]. I am going to adjust the clutch tomorrow to see if the problem is the cable or the clutch itself [I noticed that the car creeps when in gear with the clutch fully depressed]...this lead me to hope that an adjustment will fix this.

How close are these diagnostics? Any input into other sources [my second guess for the oil leak is the cooler...I will check the inside of the fan housing tomorrow as well.

Bugs & Things [with Saudi-friendly oil habit] & Bricks...Oh, my!

Roy

-- Roy Nicholl Atlantic Systems Group Phone: (506) 453-3505 Incutech Centre Fax: (506) 453-5004 B/S 69000 E-Mail: Roy.Nicholl@ASG.unb.ca Fredericton, NB Canada E3B 6C2