Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jul 1996 22:48:46 -0400
From:         Cetin Seren <cseren@fore.com>
Subject:      Re: Ron's "Free" Eurovan

At 05:11 PM 7/19/96 -0500, you wrote: >Everybody, > >It has absolutely no personality whatsoever. Power everything, and the >power steering gives a "dead" feel with little feedback to the driver--I >hope this doesn't pose a problem when driving off-road. It's quiet, but

It does have a pesonality -- that of a VW rabbit (as per Matt Drahzal). The steering must have been 'softened' -- our EV feels rock solid in the steering department, with an amazing amount of feedback for power-assisted steering.

>motor, at least as far as city driving goes, is really anaemic--and this is >coming from someone who owns an air-cooled bus. Sure, it's a bit quicker >than my own bus, but not by much. I suspect a standard transmission would >go a long way towards improving performance in this regard. Awkwardly, the

Yes, manual transmission is the way to go.

>more comfortable. You can't do that great VW bus resting-your-forearms- >on-the-steering-wheel driving posture. The steering wheel is out in front

This is one thing I really, really miss about the two 73 buses we've had. Even the '82 and the '87 do not have that nice horizontal steering wheel...

>(Donning Nomex underwear) Face it, kids, this thing is a big minivan with a >camper interior. (Rolling on the ground to snuff out flaming clothing...)

You have to drive a chrysler or ford to compare -- it definitely is _not_ a minivan...