Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:09:40 -0400 (GMT-0400)
From:         ANGEL F OLIVARES CHICON <aolivar@upracd.upr.clu.edu>
Subject:      Re: 78 Westy questions

On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Chris Jacobs wrote:

> I've got a 78 Westy that I have had parked for 2 years. When it was parked > It was running but would suddenly quit. When I tried starting it then it > would start but > would not idle at all. Ok well I have a local VW club that I've contacted > an I'm goning to try and get some help getting it back on the road but I > thought I would post this question anyway. What type of things since the > Bus has sat ffor two years should I change or inspect ffor sure during this > revival attempt ??? It has the 2.0 FI motor > in it. BTW it has two batteries in the engine compartment I don't have a > manual but I'm guessing that the one on the passenger side is for starting > the Westy and the one onthe drivers side is ffor appliances (IE FFrige) can > anyone give me an idea which is which do I have this guessed correctly ???? > Thanks in advance. > > > > Chris Jacobs > 78 Westy

Hi Chris,

Little things you should check and maybe replace are:

1. Replace all the vacuum hoses. 2. Replace the rotor and the platinum, and check the rotor cap for any cracks. 3. Change the air filter. 4. Change the spark plugs. 5. Change the oil. 6. Check the control unit (computer). 7. Check the fuel pressure and the injectors to see if they are clean. 8. Take a little piece of sandpaper (125) and clean all the electrical connections. 9. Check if all the hoses are in place.

*And that's about it*

Concerning the second battery, you are right that's for the fridge. The manual says that this battery keeps things cool inside the fridge while you are traveling. When you get to your destination you should connect to AC. Good luck,

Angel 78 Caribbean Westy 85 EcoVanagon GL