Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 1996 22:12:15 +1000 (EST)
From:         Ian Hallett <halleti@agric.nsw.gov.au>
Subject:      RE: Kadrons

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, John Sirutis wrote, amongst other things:

> 2. The carbs are the same as described in the literature I picked up from > Autovice. I couldn't find the crossover tubing because it comes off the > inlet manifolds

John,

I've got Kadrons and my balance tube is not in front of the fan housing. I installed them myself didn't know that the manifolds are reversible. You have a choice whether or not you see the balance tube when you look at the engine. Cosmetically, in front of the housing looks OK but the tube is harder to get at. I may change mine when I pull the engine later this year.

> 3. I tuned the pair, before discovering the crossover, and the engine runs > very smoothly and with good power. It will idle down to 500 to 600 RPM, > which is a bit low for starting, considering there is no choke or throttle > adjustment, other than the pedal, for cold operation.

Mine won't idle when its cold. I'm lucky I have a 6 mile trip to town before I strike traffic and have to worry about idle speed. I've thought about some sort of idle regulator like I had on a Japanese diesel van. The idle could be adjusted with a knob on the dash which screwed up a wire attached to the throttle linkage. Probably never happen but it's a thought.

> 4. I have two theories about the reason that it died on the first trip after > the tuning. Either I have a fuel flow problem - clogging or fuel pump - or > the carb is icing - see below.

I also have the iced carb problem. Hasn't got too cold here yet, only down to 5 or 6 degrees C so far. My cold carbs won't settle back to idle, they like to race the engine 'cos the linkages seem to stick. It's sort of the opposite problem to the slow idle. Again it's not a problem 'cos I don't have much traffic to worry about.

I heard a story about a fellow who live west of here where the mornings are much frostier. He worked out some way to run warm air from near his exhaust pipes, using standard VW ducting, back to the top of his Kadron air filters. Only does it in the winter then reverts back to the standard set up for the summer.

If you like I'll may be able to get details.

Regards

Ian Hallett Orange NSW Australia 2800

email: halleti@agric.nsw.gov.au

'72 bus with 1776 upright & twin Kadrons