Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jul 1996 09:02:16 -0700
From:         natasha!kombi@adobe.mv.us.adobe.com
Subject:      Re: Bubble in cooling system? '87 Vanagon

> So I fill the empty resrvoir (the main one you fill behind the license plate > ) with water to start with (thinking I'll add coolant next batch as the > water circulates). I start the engine, and let it run for a while, thinking > the thermostat will open up the valeve and coolant will start to flow. But > after a few minutes of running, I see the heat start to creep up slowly, but > steadily towards the top of the indicator, and I shut things down for fear > of a seziure (probably paranoia, but I ain't taking chances!!). > Wait -- that's the wrong coolant tank to fill! You want to fill the other tank -- the one with many hoses, blue cap, etc. The level sensor is in the top of that tank (inside is a "well" to get this thing to blink when there is gas present). If the LED continues to blink more than 5 seconds after you turn on the key (you don't need to start it) then check this tank and sensor. *I* think VW did a good job on this cooling system, although overcoming the long distance to the radiator is hard (of course indy cars do this also). Normally, you just keep the little *overflow* tank (the one behind the license plate door) filled -- don't let it get empty, or you'll get air in the system. The ring-around-the-engine-lid seems to help to get bubbles out of the system, too. Normal maintainence is really simple -- changing the coolant is not so simple, but doable. You should plan on coolant changes once a year.

The level sensor is two wires dipped in the tank. If you run too much antifreeze, it doesn't conduct electricity, and blinks the LED. I suspect that ALL water would make the sensor (but not your engine) very happy. Use the *minimum* amount of antifreeze the manual recommends. Anitfreeze does not conduct heat very well, and only raises the boiling point of the water mix slightly. If you live in very cold places, you might consider running a different mix summer and winter, but this means the pain of antifreeze changes twice a year.