Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:32:46 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@cs.rochester.edu>
Subject:      Renting VW bus in Queensland, Australia?

Hi, I hope someone on the list from "down under" can help me with this. Are VW busses or anything similar available for rent in Brisbane, Australia?

We are going to Australia for three weeks in the end of August, and were planning to spend a week and a half driving from Brisbane to Cairns, seeing the sights, hiking in parks, etc. (We fly in to Brisbane and out of Cairns)

I tried faxing a few Australian auto rental places I found on the web, but only got one reply, and no mention of camper busses. One company (Action hire cars, http://whatson.com.au/Guide/Adverts/action.html) has a drawing of a pop top buss (probably not vw though) on their web page, but they did not reply to my fax inquiry. Would be great if someone with access to local info (newspaper ads, yellow pages etc) could give me some info.

Ideally I'm looking for:

* One way rental: Pick up in Brisbane, Drop in Cairns.

* About 2 weeks time (Starting Aug 10)

* Prefer VW bus or similar, but a car is ok also. We are only 2 people, and will bring a tent as well.

* Inexpensive (Still on grad student stipend). Drop off charges could be a big hit, but not all rental companies charges that I've heard.

Any other hints on what to do/not do, where to visit during this trip would be appreciated. We have the guidebooks, but some personal recommendations would be nice.

Long shot: Anyone interested in swapping VW busses, 2 weeks in my bus (82 VW Westfalia camper) in North East US (I'm in Upstate NY) for 2 weeks in your bus in Queensland?

Thanks, Martin

-- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.rochester.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.chalmers.se University of Rochester Fax: (716) 461-2018 Rochester, NY 14627-0226 WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/