Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Jul 1996 18:12:17 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: RE: Border Partings (low VW Content]

fishbowl@pic.net (James L. McGill) wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, UTORInfoCommons wrote:

michael.heron} <rant modde off> I hope that travellers to Inuvik don't get hassled by Canadian michael.heron} customs. :(

So, what is there to DO about it? Do the 4th and 8th Constitutional Rights apply? Does anybody register a complaint, in their language, to the appropriate higher authority? Or does everybody just put up with this abuse, so that it can be worse next time? If that's how we deal with it, then we deserve the harassles.

sorry, buddy, no constitutional rights apply. border people are not 'within' the us- it is a no mans land and you have very few rights. they are looking for smugglers and criminals and whatever else customs do. though you may well feel abused, they have broad powers and can stop and search you as long as they like. if you feel like there is a real breach going on, please do report it. a lot of the stuff they are permitted, including being the hassles and intimidation is something i dont approve of. but it seems that c'est la vie. they are protecting this country. 8) i dont deserve the hassle. I'm not smuggling drugs, which they seem to look for and get confused by the vw parts i always end up carrying around on trips. they don't like the pine needles and flowers i pick while taking walks in the mountains and end up in a green pile in the bottom of my bag. why don't you drive to the border in a beat up old bus and complain when they search you. they might just say, in the words of Arlo Guthrie (who is coming to Olympia), "Kid, we don't like your type."

and you can start a movement....

did you see the nice clean sealing wax red & white 64 standard micro in his movie?