Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:49:36 EST
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      5- and 6-cylinder VW vans

Helmut Zeidler has kindly forwarded interesting detail on engine conversions, which I am posting to the list at his request. It sounds like the kit is expensive but well-thought-out. You have to envy the Germans for having enough Vanagons to make the kit a worthwhile business. I will post further information as I get it; hope others will do the same. Also please some feedback from the Type2 list about whether this should be double-posted (as I've done with this item) or just to the wet list.

The conversion kits AUDI 5 Cyl./Ford V6 are available from:

Axel Winkler

Schuechtermannstr. 7

D-44628 Herne

Phone +49 2323 8444

FAX +49 2323 82374

Presently the garage is closed for holidays but they will start next Monday. Try to send a FAX, I am sure that the staff has only thin knowledge in English language. There are Axel Winkler, the technician, salesman Chris Roseman, secretary Ulrike Winkler and Dieter Komorowski, responsible for shipping. You may mail 30 Deutsch Marks to the account *Dresdner Bank Herne-Sued*, Account No. 7651715, BLZ 360 800 80 and you will receive a 180 page catalogue with a lot of pictures, parts lists of their kits and short descriptions what have to be done for that engine swap. Sorry, but the catalogue is only available in German language, but don*t worry, the pictures will tell you the most.

Here are some AUDI and Ford engines you may use for the conversion kits:

Ford V6 2.0 Liter 66 kW (90 PS) 145 km/h DM 2,450.00

Ford V6 2.3 Liter 84 kW (114 PS) 151 km/h DM 3,290.00

same with Catalyst DM 4,200.00

same for automatic transmission systems DM 2,800.00

Ford V6 2.8 Liter 103 kW (145 PS) DM 4,950.00

Ford V6 2.9 Liter 112 kW (150 PS) DM 4,500.00

Ford V6 2.9 Liter 24V (196 PS) engine incl. DM 11,000.00

4 disc brakes recommended DM 3,600.00

AUDI 5 Cyl. 2.2 Liter 100 kW (136 PS) DM 2,750.00

AUDI 5 Cyl. 2.2 Liter Turbo (170 PS) is the same engine!

AUDI 5 Cyl. Diesel 51 kW (70 PS) DM 2,850.00

AUDI 5 Cyl. 2.5 Liter TDI Diesel 85 kW (115 PS) DM 3,490.00

AUDI 5 Cyl. 2.5 Liter TDI Diesel 102 kW (140 PS) DM 3,490.00

VW T4 2.4 Liter (78 PS) DM 2,850.00

The maximum speed limit is mostly limited in maximum engine rotation and transmission's rate.

My own story:

The engine of my 2 liter air-cooled vanagon from the *80`s broke down and that was the start to install an AUDI 5 Cylinder with 100 kW (136 PS). You also may take that 170 PS Turbo model. I got an `82 AUDI 200 wreck by nearly no payment and 200,000 km on the clock, but a well-conditioned engine. You may use most of the front part including electric, starter and co., the mounts supporting the engine and some ducts. I bought the assembling kit from Winkler which costs 2,750 Deutsch Marks without shipping. I received:

1 clutch housing (I don*t know, if it is from a Volvo or the VW light truck LT 35)

1 special machined clutch disk for 240 mm flywheels

1 adapter with ball bearing to mate the VW transmission shaft

1 engine support, a huge tube from left to right frame rail, going below the engine

1 complete exhaust system without catalyst (which is not yet needed in Germany)

1 set of some smaller parts

What you will need additionally is the 240 mm flywheel itself and its pressure plate, both parts of an AUDI Quattro. That will cost about 600 Deutsch Marks. Some other parts will help you to fit the engine into the vanagon. There are the air cleaner box and rubber ducts for fresh air used in an AUDI 80 or Rabbit. I also installed the automatic accelerator from the AUDI 200, easy to do, nothing secret.

It is recommended to use the long transmission boxes from the high powered Vanagons like those 4 or 5 speed ones from the 2L engines. It is possible, but please do not use the lowpowered Diesel transmission system. Another solution will be the Porsche transmission, but this is not tested.

For me and my ill equipped garage it took two weeks to reassemble the engines from AUDI and the vanagon and to put the 5 Cylinder in. The shipped exhaust system will find its place underneath the left midsection. Because my vanagon is a camper and on that place you will find a 50 liter water reservoir, I try to use the original AUDI exhaust system. There have been a lot of plumbing, but it fit into the center of the midsection and the pipe will end on the Vanagons south east corner. This is the stage I am working at present. In Germany we have to weld some parts like the new support for the front transmission mount and square holes for the engine support, which altogether allows a 3 cm lowered engine. In this case you have to raise the decklid by only 4 cm. Without lowering, it will be possible to mount everything without welding.

If you like to know some details, write to Helmut.Zeidler@ntc.nokia.com