Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:32:08 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: how do I get O2 sensor out?

>1)If I use heat to get it out, will it damage the sensor?

Doubtful. This device "lives" in pretty hot conditions. Mine have all come out with only moderate wrenching. Try some liquid wrence if you haven't already. If you apply heat I'd do it by applying heat to the exhaust pipe and let the heat work into the sensor from the threaded end. I suspect it would be damaged if you just "torched-away" at the body of the sensor.

>2)Should I replace the sensor anyway since it's probably original?

The service schedule calls for it to have been replace by now, but that doesn't tell you if it's still functioning o.k. I don't have the procedure handy, but a while back someone sent a O2 sensor diagnostics procedure to the list. You could find it in the archives. Nix that. I found it. From Roger Bowman: Oxygen sensors can be tested, using a scope or even a good high impedence voltmeter. The sensor itself "puts out" from 0 to 1.1volt signal when sufficiently warm; the computer looks for "cross-overs", or the number of times a signal crosses through the .45v point. A healthy ox sensor will not spend any time at .45 volts. Since this voltage will change directly with the amount of oxygen in the exhaust, the sensor implies the mixture, the computer is then able to make corrections in the dwell time of the injectors, or whatever to make the mixture come out just so.

Determine the output (sensed) wire; the other two are heater leads to get the sensor on-line more quickly. Warm the engine, and watch for voltages above and below .45v, and rapid changes. This would indicate a good sensor. If the voltage parks at a high (.7v) or low (.2v) level, try richening or leaning the mixture and watching for a change.

low volts = lean: high volts = rich.

Testing the sensor on the workbench is also possible using a propane torch to warm the sensor and keeping track of the recovery time once the flame is removed. The sensor should appear to be an "open" circuit when cool when tested for resistance.

I got this from a posting by Rick Kirchoff via Cary McAlister, from the Z-Car mailing list.

Yes. If the engine is (was) running fine, the O@ sensor is likely o.k. also.

>4)Is it nec. to have a working sensor to pass emissions tests?

Probably.

>5)Finally, since I've had my '87 (few weeks), I've noticed that only the >large plug coming out of the O2 sensor is connected....the little plug >was just hanging loose. Someone told me that this means that the O2 >sensor wasn't really hooked up anyway.

1(or 2, 2 I think) wires are for the sensor's heater and 1(or 2, 1 I think) are for the actual sensor output. If the heater is not connected, the sensor's output won't be reliable until the exhaust warms it up sufficiently. If the sensor wire(s) are not connected, then the control unit never sees the oxygen sensor input and the engine may run bad, waste gas, polute too much, or all three.