Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jul 1996 13:41:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:         sstones <sstones@io.org>
Subject:      Re: More horse power from the 2.1??

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Colin A Moran wrote:

> posted before on turbo or supercharging the 2.1, has anyone found any more > info on this idea? Forced induction seems to be a good answer for the lack

While I too would not mind a little more grunt outta the van (Mines 1.9) every once in a while, I fear that Turbo/supercharging may not be the best idea for these waterpumpers. considering their common ailment of leaking combustion gasses from cyl into waterjacket via the head gaskets, i'd be very wary of the thought of increasing the pressures in the combustion chamber further than they already get...

I'd love a tranny with a slightly lower first and a fifth waiting for me when I get out onto the highway, this in my mind would be the way to go...

But speculation is merely that... You take Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda in one hand, and 15 bucks in the other... You still don't have enough for a bottle of blue goo. Sorry, I tend to babble when I think about Vanagons with a 5 speed transaxle.

All I can say is... Go for the ram effect air intake, I doubt you'll notice a difference, but if you do a nice job it'll certainly look cool/unique. If it improves power then you really benefit. I do, however, worry that turbo/super would just prove to be too much for these poor heads that the Flat 4 waterpumpers are stuck to.

Cheers,

SStones, Toronto Ont. <sstones@io.org>