Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:41:22 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright" <VWNUT@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Diesel piston/head questions

This is regarding the engine on my Jetta, but since there's a number of diesel bus owners out there, I thought it might be useful to post and (hopefully) get some feedback.

Here's the story: I've spent the last 3 nights replacing the head gasket on my 1.6 turbo diesel, after getting tired of explaining why I leave my oil drain pan under it in the garage. I'd been putting it off since it seemed to be running better than ever, and mileage was great (1000km+ per tank lately).

Anyways, last night I put the head back on after spending a few hours cleaning up the valve area & piston tops. #1 & 4 had quite a buildup of white crusty stuff, although #2 &3 also had some. Crusty stuff was on both the piston and the comb chamber area around the prechambers. On all but #4 it scraped off easily, but #4 left some pitting in the piston and head. Can someone tell me what this stuff is? I suspect it may be from coolant leakage, although I was never really sure if the head gasket leaked coolant or not, since it ran fine. I was losing some coolant, but my water pump gasket (installed by someone else $$^@$#^@) has been leaking, so it's hard to tell. Could this stuff be somehow related to the pump timing being off? I adjusted the pump myself according to the book, except using the listen & drive approach, instead of the expensive tool. (This was done a year ago, and engine seemed to smoke less afterwards).

Also a question on the head gasket: the new one I got has two additional holes for water passages at the front of # 1 & 2 cyl which line up with the block & head. The old gasket had *no* holes here, ie: it had 4 holes for cyl #3 & 4, but only 3 for cyl #1 & 2. Does this seem strange?

Shawn '88 Westy 332k (Kyra) '85 Jetta TD 350k (Jenni)