Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:08:13 -0700
From:         jscohen@sprynet.com (James Cohen)
Subject:      Upgrading 86-up headlights: the definative answer! (longish)

Okay, Let me put an end to this controversey as this is something that I've had a lot of experince with.

First, the round headlights on the pre 86's is FAR superior to the retangulars found on the 86 and up. I have an '85 and had an '86 which burned up last summer, so I got a chance to do direct comparisons. The high beams on the '86s are pretty good but the low beams are AWFUL, boardering on dangerous. Without question, the worst low beams that I've ever had the displeasure to use.

The round lights shouldn't be "dim", as Ron says his are, and if they are then you have wiring/alternater problems and changing lights will not help that. All the stock lights are the same wattage as specified by the DOT at 55/60 watts.

High watt bulbs: "Dimness" is not the problem here, lousey reflectors which send an unevenly distributed light beam are. And high power bulbs will not cure that problem. Everyone I know who has converted to high watt bulbs report limited increases in see-ability. Brighter lights just don't compensate for the poor reflectors (read: cheap) and optics. They will, however, burn-up and melt-down your wiring unless you upgrade that too. High watt bulbs are NOT a good alternative.

REAL upgrades

Euro H4

The best upgrade option is to replace the stock lights with European H4 lights. I've used H4s on my Corrado and GTI and the improvement in the low beam is stunning. It is said that they're light output is 100% more than stock. Not brighter, but the light emitted is better "used". H4s are MUCH better and, if aimed properly, won't blind oncomming traffic. These lights are available in a variety of different wattages all the way up to 100/130 watts. I run the stock 55/60 so I don't burn out the retinas of other drivers and so I don't have to replace the wiring with a heavier duty kind.

Euro H4s are NOT technically street legal (especially with the high watt bulbs) and are not approved by the DOT. But no one can really tell the difference and if you're not blinding other drivers no one really cares.

Round headlights have the advantage of being easy to upgrade. The round lights are easy to find and replace, at about $30 a pop.

The rectangulars are antother story. These lights are NOT a standard size and, therefore, replacements are not easy to come by. The light is a VW only part, and the discounters who import Euro lights can't get them except through the dealers in Germany. I researched this last year, and then went to Germany to by some at a dealer (I really HATED the stock lights!). Only $135 each side!! Not including the bulb!! At least it did include the bulb connector. I opted to not buy the lights which was a wise move since the Westy burned up a few weeks later :-( . I had planned to go back this year and comb junk yards in Germany for the lights, and I still might do this (I'm leaving for Europe next week!) even though I no longer have a later Van.

Legal Lights

A good legal alternative to the H4 is the Hella Plus lights and the CIBIE Bobbie lights (which I have on my '85 Westy). These also claim a 100% improvement in light output and may be as good in most ways as the H4s. But they're cheaper and are approved by the DOT. They have better reflectors and a very even beam pattern compared to stock. The difference between these and the H4s is probably not enough to worry about, both are tons better than stock, and this type is easier to get. Pep Boys has them and I'm sure other big FLAPS have them too.

BTW, in Germany I saw 86 and on Vans with large (like 9" or more) round lights instead of the rectangular lights. I never did get the story on this so I don't know if this was a retrofit or an option.

Aux Lights

Hella Auxilliary Low Beam lights: Hella may have an answer for the beleagured 86 and on crowd. Hella makes a "Auxilliary Low Beam" head light which looks like a fog light but is really an enhanced low beam. Made to be on all the time (well, when the lights are supposed to be on!), once again it increases the output 100% over stock lights, AND you get to keep your stock lights! That is a lot of light! This light is street legal and is DOT approved. Hella's charts show an amazing improvement in light output. The only drawback is that they sit on your bumper and might be considered visual clutter....(right Derek?). I think Aux lights look cool so it's a taste thing.

=46og Lights: Also, regular old Fog lights do wonders for enhancing low beam light. Fogs emit a wide flat beam low to the ground about 500' in front of the car. These are the best "Deer Spotters" as their wide beam goes out nearly 180=B0 from the car and light up various creatures waiting in the median, or along the roadside, ready to jump out in front of you. Once you use fogs, it's hard to ever drive without them again.

Driving Lights: =46inally, there are Driving Lights which are the opposite of fogs. They emit a narrow beam far (like 5000') in front of the car. Great on long flat roads with no one else on them. But not so good when the road is twisty and the extra distance is of minimal use. And you have to be VERY careful to not blind oncomming drivers, which means that you have to be dilligent about dimming your lights whenever you see another car, you have to be wide awake.

So, those of you who have made it this far without falling asleep, I'm sure you're asking "Hey if you're such an expert, what kind of light do YOU use?" Okay, this is what I use:

On the '85 Westy: CIBIE Bobbie round lights with 55/60 watt bulbs. Hella 550 FF 55 watt fog lights. Hella 500 round 55 watt Driving lights. (no deer is gonna sneak up on me!)

GTI: Hella H4 round Lo/hi 55/60 lights, Hella 5" round 55W driving lights, Hella 550 rectangular 55W fog lights.

Corrado: Aerodynamic Euro Headlights for the Corrado with H4s and built in 55w driving lights (bought after hitting a deer in 1991 which I could've avoided had the lights been good!), stock fog lights.

Good lights are not always cheap, but very few other improvements one can make to one's Van can save your's or your Van's life in so many situations.

I hope all this helps someone out.

James

>In a message dated 96-07-24 10:57:24 EDT, you write: > >>>> The low beams on my 87 Westfalia are really terrible >> >>Really? I had been thinking of replacing the headlights on my '85 >>with the headlights from the '87 parts bus I just bought, because >>my '85's headlights are so dim. I had been told that the '86-on >>headlights are significantly brighter. Is that correct? >> >>Ron Salmon > >I think we need to stage a "light-off" and determine which has the poorest >headlights. I'd rate my 87's lights as POOR and my 88's (supposedly >identical?) lights as ADEQUATE. I'd sure like to find an easy upgrade that= 'd >bring them both to GOOD or GREAT status. > >Jim Davis >87 GL Syncro >88 GL Wolfsburg >

---------------------------------------------------------------- James Cohen New York City, and Williamstown MA.

jscohen@sprynet.com stirling@aol.com (which gets checked more often)

Red '93 Corrado SLC (Highly modified)

Red '87 GTI (mostly modified, soon to be a G60!) and '67 deluxe split window '71 Westy Breadloaf (high performance engine 1776cc B&B) '81 (for sale),'85 Westy Vanagons '83 9 passenger Vanagon '66, '74 busses (decomposing)