Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jul 96 18:58:02 CDT
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu
Subject:      gas smell

Mike,

you can remove the fire wall to get access to the fuel tank. Note that on my '75 there were an additional 2 screws to be accessed from underneath the bus; they weren't mentioned in Bentley and I couldn't figure out why the firewall wouldn't come out at first...

With the firewall removed, you can access the vent lines above the tank. At various locations those metal lines are connected to each other by 3 inch long rubber fuel hoses. You want to replace them all, including those in the engine compartment (there's also one hidden behind the spare wheel well).

While the firewall is off, check to see whether the large hose from the filler neck to the tank is in good shape. For even better access to this part, pry out the black round plate on the right of the engine compartment and remove the ECU. With a full tank, rock the van and see if the large hose is still dry.

> '78 Westy ("Yosemite Sam")

Hey, wait, I had a trademark on that! ;) My Westy has the chartreuse paint job, aka Yosemite Yellow, and my name is Sami, so Yosemite Sam is my CB handle.

Sami