Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         26 Jul 96 05:39:20 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon heat shield?

My '80 Westi has/had the piece of metal you all are referring to. It is a heat shield, mine just bit the dust a few months ago. I will check my engine seal. I still have the bulk of it remaining. <What sort of packrat would keep a burned up, unattachable former piece of VW> A VW owner, that's who. It's not a sandwich though, just a piece of metal.

> >original equipment beyond the heater boxes. Was that the purpose of this > >piece and if so, would it aid cooling to rig a shield over the muffler? > > I think it's a heat shield. It's a very hard to find piece, because they > tended to rust out and fall off. I ran without one for a while and it > eventually caused my foam engine seal to get crispy on the lower parts in > the back. I'm sure it affected the temperature of the air entering the > engine, too. Good thing to have, if you can get it.

I just replaced the plastic generator cage, about $7.50 US > a recent problem saw the end to my fan cage and generator surround. - Jeff '80 Westi