Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jul 1996 13:03:43 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: syncros

In a message dated 96-07-26 01:50:17 EDT, Maz6550@aol.com writes:

>Aerostar, which runs great and has every bell and whistle, but it's a >boring, lumbering mass, is a poor cargo vehicle, and will self-destruct if I >dare take it to Mexico. I'm actually considering dumping it and trying >another Syncro. To finally get to the point, in your opinion can these cars >take it? (I noticed in the owners manual, it sez under no circumstances to >take these cars off the road. It then tells you how to drive in sand). Have >any of your readers tried these cars in Baja-type conditions? (I'm not >talking about running the Baja 1000, just endless punishing washboard, >occasional arroyo crossing, and lots of sand). Do all these cars have >similar problems? (My mechanic seemed to think so, but there's so few of >them out there). Will they always be high maintenance vehicles? (I can only >afford one car--whatever I have is my daily driver). Is the ground clearance >the same on the later ones? (I seem to recall them lowering the clearance on >Vanagons in "88 or so). Are there years to avoid?

While the Syncro only parts are certainly expensive I haven't needed to replace any (except a couple CV joints) on my '87 yet. I replaced the heads (leaking gaskets, corroded heads) at about 100k miles and then replaced the engine with a used on from a wrecker at 140k miles. I havn't determined the problem with the original engine yet, but it lost oil pressure and was making BAD noises. I've taken my Synco through numerous off-road adventures in the mountains & deserts in California and always get great looks from Jeep owners. The look on their face just says "How did he get that thing up here?". While 2WD Vanagons had their ride height lowered, the Syncros were higher than the 2WDs and stayed at the same height. The only thing that really alters the ground clearance is the load (Camper models therefore sit a bit lower) and the size of tires that you run. About the biggest tire you can fit (without extensize effort) is a 27LT8.5x14. I'd reccommend the BFGoodrich Radial All Terrain T/A for the Syncro.

You mention trips to Baja. Do you live in S. California?

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg