Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jul 1996 13:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Earl J.Smith" <wk677@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject:      Roof racks and misc.

We have a double kayak that weighs 130 lb. Before buying our 84 vanagon, we made sure we could lift it up onto a roof rack by borrowing a friends and trying. He had a Thule which is too rich for my $800 pension. So, having lots of tools, I got some 1/8 in. aluminum angle and made a second bend to simulate the gutter. Cut four 4 in. sections. At he rear, I used one of the bolts that hold the hinge, and drilled a second hole through the hinge plate. (If I had thought ahead a bit more I could have made the adaptor plate long enough to use the spacing that existed. Oh that 20/20 hindsight!) Anyhow, at the front, I removed the cap that went over the cab. First I cleaned a ton of detritus out from the top of the cab roof. (REduced weight probably increased my gas mileage!) Then drilled out all the rusty brackets that were staining the fibreglass, buffed them clean, repainted them, and riveted them back in. Finally, drilled the cap and bolted the front brackets on with a large aluminum backing plate to spread the stress.

Since then we have been over some of the rough logging roads here on Vancouver Island and there has been no sign of a problem. Next step is to invent a loader to hoist the kayak up because I don't want to keep putting my back out and every year takes its toll of strength.

Enjoy reading the V. List but will have to discontinue until I can afford better software. At 2400 it takes a long time to download the digest file, and even longer if I do it one (wanted) message at a time.

Thanks to allk of you for the valuable info on cooling problems and fridges. I found our problem was not lighting the fridge but being able to tell if it was alight. Finally relized that the air intake and vent get hot when its working!

Earl J. Smith