Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jul 1996 05:26:38 -0400
From:         Cetin Seren <cseren@fore.com>
Subject:      Re: basic electronics question

I replied Dan personally, but I'll add it here, hoping it will help people. One has to be careful about a few points, or it could be sad. I have two comments on malcolm's solution. And then my reply to Dan is included.

Cetin

> >You actually are running about 14v in the car, and normal LED's have ^^^^ quite true.... >about that 2.5v drop across them, so you want a resistor that will pass >50ma at 11.5v. If you round to 12v (after all, resistors are commonly >only 10% accurate), this works out to 240 ohms -- 12 = (.050)x(240).

Nononononono.... 14 = (.050) x (280) Soooo, 280 ohms is the min. you need. (quite possibly more). AND, this is the TOTAL resistance (see calculations below).

>Notice that by doing this though, you mostly heat up the resistor rather >that produce light. You might want to series a bunch of these (like 5)

If you choose this route, use at least 6, more like 7, or the instant you get a glitch in your regulator you'll fry one of these 5 (5x2.5 = 12.5, and 12.5 < 14 ).

and now, the calculations: