Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jul 1996 00:15:37 -0500
From:         Harmon Seaver <hseaver@vbe.com>
Subject:      Shiftless

I just replaced the tranny on my '81 vanagon, only to find that the shifter doesn't reach far enough to go into any gear. At first I thought it was just a linkage adjustment problem, but after hours and hours of trying, I'm thinking it's something else. I've got the Bentley, did the adjustment as per that, to no avail. That adjustment, btw, is essentially to select neutral on both shifter and tranny, then use an appropriate guage (either .75" or .82" depending upon chassis number) to adjust side movement. Mine shifted okay before, it's just that third gear was blown. So now, if I lengthen the shaft long enough to get it into first, let's say, it then would be too long for second. The tranny can be shifted into any gear back at the tranny, so what it seems like is that there simply isn't enough length on the bottom end of the shift lever (below the pivot point) to push the lever on the tranny far enough in any direction. Are there different shift levers for different trannys? The above mentioned two different adjustments don't seem even remotely enough difference in movement to do what is needed.

Please reply off list since I only read the list thru the archives. Thanx.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@vbe.com hseaver@csd.uwm.edu ======================================================================= The fundamental delusion of humanity is that I am in here -- and you are out there. ======================================================================= Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1996. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent. =======================================================================