Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 May 1996 10:17:23 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      Re: good ole' Chevron Techron

Paul wrote: "I sprung for a bottle of Chevron Techron. It was the 1st time I've ever used it in my 79 bus. I drove with it in a full tank, then refilled again today for the 2nd time since using it. I thought I'd let you all know my city mpg has jumped up to *25*. Before using the Techron, driving in stop/go traffic, I would only get 17 mpg. . . . . . but the fuel economy has gotten MUCH better, wouldn't you say!"

Paul, I don't want to rain on your parade, but you did ask. Divide 25 by 17 to see you're talking about a 47% improvement. Ok, so I'm mentioning too many significant digits, but the order of magnitude cannot be caused by the bottled additive Chevron Techron. I've chased incremental performance enhancements for many years, especially during the 17 years I competed in drag racing and briefly held national records. Now, I compete with my previous record of recorded mpg with each fill to the last penny top fill. Synthetics like Mobil 1, Syntec, and Amzoil will give you a solid 2% mpg gain. I'm vexed by not being able to go back to an assured "pre treatment condition" on some of the "slick" products, but I'm very skeptical about whether or not they do any good. I talked with one professional motor rebuilder who's rejected a warrantee claim on an engine that had an oil passage blocked with a bunch of this stuff. You look at the performance of different oil filter brands tested to learn the threshold particulate size beyond which they won't pass (and they do vary) even when they are new and least restrictive, and you may question the idea that this stuff has enough time to "plate" the wear surfaces as claimed before it's just captured by your oil filter. As to how this stuff could form a small oil passage block, I've no idea. But at this point I'm pretty well convinced that it can happen. I've read every book I've encountered about how to improve milage, some by performance trials winners who share their techniques. Lots of these tricks really work. Perhaps you've pumped your tires up hard, gotten them aligned, are practicing fairly aggressive starts with super early shift points just above "lugging." These work. Perhaps you're not rushing to red lights like an idiot and started timing them for some reason, an engaging game when other drivers are eager to steal your safety margin space ahead. Perhaps, the rigor of your measurements accounts for this. I've run several vehicles with instantaneous mpg displays, and have one now. Trust me, you cannot trust odometers, speedometers, or fuel tank gauges. Interstate mile markers over minimum 10 mile spans are useful and 100 miles are better with a stop watch, note pad and calculator. Mechanical speedometers aren't even linear in their errors! At least odometers are. Fuel gauges can be calibrated by you, using your known mpg history and odometer observations after a fill to the last penny fill, but are useless in computing mpg. When someone says "and it only took a quarter of a tank" it says a lot about them and little about fuel usage. Carney operators look for fools like them every day. Absolute fill to absolute fill is all that counts. The auto pump shut off occurs at different points with the same pump on the same car. My Lincoln Continental can take up to $3 worth of additional diesel fuel after a pump automatically quits. It varies a lot. Try to factor that kind of variation into fuel consumption records. It doesn't work. Sorry if this sounds like I'm trying to rupture your balloon, but I love efficiencey and if this stuff works as you describe, I'll become an eary adopter and happily post my apology for being too skeptical. Just to weigh in on the MPG poll, dropping insignificant digits to comply with the group norm, I've gotten as low as 27 mpg and as much as 34 mpg with a '83 diesel Westie around town. Florida is flat and I hate touching that brake peddle. This is not the result of a casual effort, though I don't hold up traffic.

John Wakefield