Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:20:41 -0400
From:         Vargsman@aol.com
Subject:      a REAL basic electronics question

Well, I guess I shouldn't feel that bad about this posting as the previous person with a "basic" electronic question said he must have been asleep during his wiring class in high school. Well, about as technical we ever got was making a shovel in shop class. (It did have a nice handle I ground me'self off the lathe) Anyway, was wondering if someone could give me some basic advice on a simple project. I want to install a radio into the van because the PO's one got ripped off. It was the desirous Blaupunkt. Anyway, I figured this would be a simple hook up of existing wires but I've run into some unidentifiable wires. For example, my radio has one red wire for power but when I look at the hot wire from the van it is three wires leading into a wire harness. What might three wires be doing here? Is one of them a neutral, the other a ground, etc.? Or are the other two here for moral support? Can I simply wire all 3 together into the red one? Also, the speakers have two wires each coming from the van and the radio has, of course, only one for each speaker. I originally thought this was a ground for each speaker but someone said this could be a "+" and "-" connection. Huh? "Oh, okay, no problem" Anyway, any advice would be helpful once you stop laughing at the simpicity involved here.

Remember, install (or pay someone to install) your radio and you'll forever be hungry, teach someone to install their own and they will never go hungry again....

or something like that. Actually, I seem to remember something about fish being in that quote.....

Thanks,

Rich