Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:05:57 -0400
From:         Rick Koller <rkoller@helix.nih.gov>
Subject:      syncro noise - gone

Fellow syncronies et al, First I thank all of you who offered helpful suggestions - they worked! The front end noise I described a couple weeks ago was in fact an insufficiently greased outboard cv joint. This however took some time to pinpoint due in part to lack of complete access to the offending joint when forced to work on ones back. Anyway all sniveling aside, I would recommend packing these joints periodically since they cost about $220 each (the front outboard ones). My procedure follows:

1.Remove clips from cv boots and push boot away from joint.

2.Wipe out as much old grease as possible.

3.I used a hypodermic needle grease injector available at FLAPS and a grease gun to try and displace as much old grease from inside the joint as possible. This is a laborious process on the driveway environment. I again wiped away old greenish grease.

4.I then gobbed as much new black cv grease into the joint with my hands as possible and returned boots in position. ( I use rubber gloves doing this job.)

5.I used plastic cable ties to temporarily secure the boots to the cv joints until the new clips I ordered from the dealer show up.

Interestingly, (sort of) the inboard joints' grease was much more dried up and hard than the outboard ones and I presumed that these guys were the source of the clicking. They were not. I suspected the offending outboard joint from the start and did that first and after a test drive the noise was still evident. So I packed the remaining front end cv's and still heard the evil clicking! I thought the syncro-gods are having a little fun at my expense, in fact I simply had not put enough grease in the initial joint and after jamming some more of the black goo into it, it became silent! Hope this is of interest to someone.

Rick Koller '90 syncro Westie '81 air Westie *************************************** Richard Koller Email: rkoller@helix.nih.gov Phone: 301-496-8414 ***************************************