Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:15:28 EST
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      more on 5- and 6-cylinder engines

Helmut Zeidler in Dusseldorf responds to a message from Patrick Eagan; they both bad-mouth my Porsche engine, but I pass along Helmut's comments anyway, as I promised I would. I have actually been happy with the Porsche engine's heat production, although I did cheat by replacing the heater flapper boxes with ducts during the winter so that the heat is always on until spring. The heating air is driven by the engine cooling fan, and there is an additional blower on the engine to push air through the heater boxes, but it is made to the same specs as VW blowers: run for five years max, then die a noisy death.

Herr Zeidler exaggerates a bit about the oil leaks, but my engine does leave about a two-drop calling card wherever you park it, so that others of its species will know that it was there. I have been through the gas tank problem, exactly as described. Aircooled Vgoners should expect this in their future if it's not in their past.

B.

Wm Kennedy

kennedy@admin.njit.edu

Patrick:

The Porsche is also very expensive here and I learned that a Porsche engine could be a nightmare. It looks like the Vanagons' aircooled engines. On every end and every corner there drops oil out of it. It seems the car needs more oil during parking than running [No, it actually needs less -- that's why it lets some out! WK]. The heating, which I really need during the bad weather months, is bad and has no fan. I often had to clean the windows from inside, but my arms are not long enough for the right hand windows. Also the heat coming out is not as hot as we need, even for the rear passengers. Those are the reasons to switch to a watercooled engine.

I am doing the conversion myself and I am not a professional but interested and willing to learn day by day. That means taking two long days work to change the heater boxes under the dashboard. Another day to mount the coolant pipes. During this, I figure out, that the gasoline tank is rusty on the top side where my heater ducts go though and it has to be changed. But the tank is really looking nice from the bottom. From Winkler's garage I heard, that this will be common: All the filth and water are collected in the upper hollows of the tank which immediately starts rusting. I recommend taking the tank off and checking it if you suspect a leak in the tank area. That in all will be only one hour's work. You may also check the body's underseal on that section. VW did nothing except painting on that part.

If you have a water cooled, no Syncro, no Westy, a well equipped garage with a good mechanic, the change to an AUDI 5Cyl will be done within two days. As Tom wrote, try to use an AUDI Quattro build for the American market. I learned that the old European ones are sold with old K-Jetronic systems which allows no three way catalyst and that do not meet the US exhaust requirements. Winkler will offer an update next year for the old Ford and AUDI engines. That will drop my yearly taxes from DM 743.00 to DM 290.00, but also the engine power with 10 or 20 PS.

With the help of William Kennedy I am trying to translate the instructions for the AUDI swap. I found a German Vanagon driver with Ford V6 114 PS. I hope to ask him for details.

Helmut

'80 Camper