Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jul 1996 11:14:00 -0400
From:         "bill (w.r.) crick" <crick@nortel.ca>
Subject:      RE Fuel Injection problem found

Volks: Well old Sunny_Side_Down rides again. I found the problem. Thanks for all the help. Several VW mechanincs told me it was the ignition switch. It wasn't. Someone said check all connections, and grounds. While doing this I found the double relay ground was loose. I tightened this, and when I tried it again it wasn't fixed, but then I noticed Ross Perot's "Great Sucking Sound" coming from the south end of the van as it stopped. When I started searching around, and under things, I found that the hose from the air distributor to the decelleration valve was disconnected. The engine was getting too much air. During starting in this warm weather, as the cold start valve supplies more gas, it would run at high revs when starting. In run mode, the mixture was just too lean to keep running. Another symptom I missed was it took several seconds to wind down. I assumed this was just engine momentum from the high revs. now I believe that it was still getting some power from the lean mixture, just not enough to keep running. This also caused several red herrings: The engine stopped turning just about when the fuel pump stopped. I couldn't hear a loss of firing or ignition because there wasn't one. The high revs. It sounded like a fuel related problem, because it was one, just a simple one.

Thanks for the help volks Bill Crick 76 Type II/IV/VII Ottawa Canada If you see hoofprints, look for horses, not zebras.