Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:46:26 -0700
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      disastrous reconnaissance mission!

Last week, Bradley Prunehead and I set out on a one-day reconnaissance mission to scope out future potential campsites for forthcoming CCC events near the Bay Area. Apparently our VW karma was way out of whack; read on.

Our goal was to check out a few recommended sites in the area south of the San Francisco bay area, down toward the Monterey/Carmel area. We left mid-morning - ample time for the 300+ mile round trip at a leisurely pace. We figured on getting back to the bay area by around 10:30 p.m. comfortably.

We checked out Henry Coe park, then headed south to San Juan Bautista in search of the road to Fremont Peak. Just inside the city limits, my '81 westy starting making a horrible sound. Bradley got out, listened while I drove in slow circles around him, and decided the noise was coming not from the engine (as I always fear since I assume the worst), but rather either perhaps the CV joints or the brakes/wheels.

The day was a scorcher, dry, and dusty in the farmlands, so we sought some shade and pavement on which to check under the car. The only nearby possibility was the side of a service station. Bradley jacked up the car, removed the wheel, and I pretended to "help" by trying to make artificial shade over him with a small umbrella.

I digress here as I must explain that I normally carry quite an assortment of tools with me in the car, but they (with several other things) were unfortunately stolen from my van about a month or so ago. Bradley normally carries enough tools to fix ANYTHING, but he'd recently left a good portion of them in my home garage. Upon getting ready for this scouting trip, I thought at the last minute that I had better grab them, checked on my workbench, but then saw that all the tools he'd left there were intermingled with my chaotic piles of wrenches, etc., and decided to just grab his tool bag (which was about 1/4 full, and looked to contain at least a screw-driver, and a few wrenches), rather than try and at that moment decipher who's tools were who's. Besides, I reasoned my car was in good shape, and we weren't likely to encounter any problems which would put us in a position of needing tools, after all, right?

At any rate, as luck would have it, nearly every tool we really needed and could have made use of to solve this sound in the wheel/brake area were of course all lying on my workbench at home. Bradley, mechanical genius that he is, made do really quite impressively with what we had, but lacking the proper instruments, couldn't get the wheel off. It sort of just looked rusted in place. :( The local proprietor or employee of the service station where we'd parked soon appeared, angry that we might cause him some liability if our van were to, say, suddenly drop off the jack, and land on Bradley. Bradley offered to finish up and get out of there if he would just give us 30 minutes, but he insisted we had to move immediately, which we did. Two blocks later, we suddenly found ourselves on the road to Fremont Peak, so Bradley made a judgement call that since this sound was not an engine one, we could probably go up the mountain, come down, and then look for a small VW repair shop after. We indeed did find the site, and came back down, but in the meantime, the sound had lessened somewhat, so we decided to keep going. Bradley figured out that lifting the e-brake just to the first notch mitigated the sound enough without hurting anything else, so that we could probably manage to limp along. Soon thereafter, we released the e-brake entirely, and the sound had disappeared, so we decided not to look for the VW shop until/unless the sound returned.

Earlier in the trip, I had been commenting to Bradley that my auxiliary batteries mysteriously were losing their charge, almost immediately after stopping. My ignition batter has always been fine, but going out into the wilderness, I never feel comfortable without a good strong second battery source, just in case. I didn't think much about this for this trip, though, because I figured we'd not run into any problems. For that same reason, I also didn't empty the bit of stale water in my water tank and replace it with at least half a tank of fresh, as I normally do when going camping. Also, the day was hot, and as our mission was less than 24 hours, we were both dressed only in clothes for hot summer: t-shirts, shorts-type, etc. And I wasn't carrying much of anything extra in the westy, since the trip was only for the day. I'd packed sandwiches and a few drinks, and we kept consuming those, so as not to have to stop.

As the car seemed now to be working well, we decided to proceed deep into the Ventana Wilderness, which is a forest inland, east of Big Sur, but not accessible from Big Sur. One goes around the north side of the wilderness, and then in on a remote dirt road to climb a mountain to an elevation of 5,000 feet. The road is serious dirt, about 14 miles long, and nary a soul. We trekked up, spewing dust, and found in fact two very nice potential campsites which we thought would suit the group fine in fall or spring, but not at present, as we were being eaten alive suddenly by mosquitoes. My accessory-laden air-cooled car got a lot hotter on this climb that I would have liked, but we were pulling steep hills to ascend, and it was mighty hot outside.

All the while, I kept thinking what a great place this was for camping, but what a horrible, unfriendly location it would be if one got stuck there. These damned bugs, the heat, the dirt/dust, no water, no cell-phone service, no phones, no civilization of any kind, no one on the CB, and no cars encountered for at least an hour. It was getting dark by the time we got to the last campsite. We parked to check out the place, then Bradley suddenly noticed that I had a flat right rear tire Visions went thru my head about "gosh, I hope my spare has air in it." Once again, poor Bradley was out in the heat, on the dirt, jacking up my car. He expertly put on the spare and we were in luck that it performed fine. After looping around the campsite to get a last glimpse, we proceeded in the dark, back up toward the summit about 2 miles back, Bradley at the wheel.

Suddenly the van lost power, then wouldn't go at all. Bradley checked a number of electrical and other connections in the engine and couldn't find anything amiss. This worried me, because Bradley really knows these cars in and out, and I began to fear that the lack of something obvious amiss, meant that something was quite serious, and hidden. And of course, with no tools, and our location, the reality of our potential plight set in. After much wiggling and inspecting and testing (for spark, etc.), Bradley decided that we should coast back down the hill, but up close to the mountain on our side, so that IFJan oncoming car should appear, they might have a chance of getting by us on the narrow one-lane road. Also, since the brakes and e-brake were barely holding, we wanted to be aiming at a safer angle. We misjudged the angle a bit, and touched the back bumper and side to the side of the mountain. And of course the car was pointed going up hill, and now the rear hatch "caught" on the rocks, so that we couldn't lift it to access the engine hatch any longer.

Looking bleaker and bleaker, I tried the CB and the cell-phone, all to no avail. We realized we'd be hiking 14 miles out of there (in casual clothes and flimsy shoes with no water or supplies), and/or that temps at 5K feet during the night might suddenly drop. We figured we'd "wait" for a bit and see if anyone came along. After what seemed like an eternity, someone did, and of course they could not get around us. I should point out that had we not been stuck on an incline, between the two of us, one of us could have pushed the van while the other steered, but confined to the incline we were on, that was not possible. Fortunately in this car which came along, there were two people; they took pity on us, and between the 4 of us, we were able to push the car up hill just enough to make room for their small car to squeeze by. They promised to make phone calls for us, including one to the AAA. We suddenly wondered IFJthe AAA would come up this remote dirt trail in the wilderness, but then Bradley noticed that thisJroad was on the AAA map, and suggested the people helping us mention this to the AAA if they got any flack. We did a few mental exercises, thinking how long it might be until the two got to a phone, how long it would take to dispatch a tow truck to this location, and decided we'd be there for at least 1.5-3 more hours, if help came at all.

After about an hour of waiting, Bradley went back to wire jiggling, now that the engine hatch could be accessed. Something must have suddenly dawned on him as a possibility, and I heard a delirious cry of happiness as he announced that he thought he'd found the problem - a stuck air-flow meter! It had frozen itself into mid position somehow, and once he set it free, we could start! He warned that it might stick again, but at least we knew the temporary fix and could now proceed.

At this point, we were just waiting for the next thing to go wrong. Another flat tire, perhaps? More problems from the awful wratcheting sound of the brakes/wheel? This time, luck was on our side, and we made it out of the wilderness, down to a phone, just in time, apparently, to stop the AAA truck, which, according to the dispatch lady, was almost to us. Phew.

To make a long story short, we finally made it back to the bay area, about 3 or 4 hours later than expected, but thank goodness alive and well. I credit Bradley with saving not only the car but perhaps also our lives up there. There's no substitute for traveling prepared with supplies and tools just in case, and I learned my lesson. There's also nothing like having an encyclopedic-type mechanic brain and knowing these cars like the back of your hand. I'm in awe and jealous of mechanical prowess such as I was privileged to witness time and time again on this day, and If I'd been up there alone, well...I probably wouldn't be here to write this.

And as for those 2 kind strangers who took pity on us and gave us their last food, I will never forget. Part of me thought maybe we'd die up there on this ridge; the other part was profusely thankful for the goodness and generosity of this wonderful couple, and if they one day ever read this trip report (I was in such a state of upset that I neglected to get their phone or any way to contact them), I hope fate will decree that our paths cross again sometime - so that I can repay that favor. :)

/martha