Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:29:14 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: New Alternator?

Donald Baxter writes:

<< I thought I might try just replacing the regulator--the parts guy at my favorite FLAPS insists that the regulator is internal--something I know ain't true. However--a new lifetime guarantee alternator is only $89. The voltage regulator from VW is probably at least this much.

What's the advice--keep looking for an aftermarket regulator or buy the whole thing? >>

Don -

The parts guy at the FLAPS is correct when he tells you the Voltage Regulator is Internal. But it is replaceable and can be done usually with a minimum of hassle, usually without removing the alternator. I recently did this on my 80 Vanagon because the brushes in its holder were really worn down. Using an inspection mirror and a light, I looked inside the alternator to see if the surface the brushes ride on was grooved or otherwise badly worn. Turned out to be pretty smooth, so replacing the regulator/brush assembly turned out to be the right thing to do. Noticed my lights were a little brighter and turn signal response was a little crisper. Now if the rotor surface had been pitted, scored or grooved, I would have replaced the alternator assembly as a unit.

Depending on the year (and even within a given year), there are differences in Voltage Regulators to watch out for. Some alternators have "Rectangle-Box" shaped regulators and some have slightly bulbous/rounded case shapes. The two are not interchangeable because of brush length. If you mount the one with the longer brushes into a model that takes short brushes, premature wear will occur on both the rotor surface and brushes. See Bentley Page 27.20 and it shows you the different types.

We sell only the original Bosch types of these under their OE VW Numbers -

Rectangle Types:

063-903-803 Vanagon 1980 Only $21.11 070-903-803 Vanagon 80-83 $16.91

Round Types:

068-903-803 Vanagon 80-91 $52.80

Most aftermarket varieties of these regulators (outside of Original Bosch) we have found to be inconsistent in assembly quality and durability. Buyer Beware :-)

Of course, always remove the battery ground before doing this.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com