Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:01:13 -0400
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Re: HELP! '64 ignition shot?

>I thought that was what I wrote???????

So we are saying the same thing different ways, each thinking we are right and the other is wrong... Too funny! :)

>Power to the ignition does not go *through* the light switch.

Agreed, but it can short at the light switch.

>Why would he lose power to the ignition when he does not use the >lights????

If it shorts at the light switch, it doesn't continue to the ignition switch.

>If I read the first post correct (I may have missed >something :>)) I thought the problem happened even with the lights >off. If the engine died *only* when the lights were turned on, then >I would agree with you without question. But...if his light switch >was *SHORTING OUT*, his harness would burn-up being unfused. All the >post reported was the engine dying.

He said it had happened sporadically before. With the engine running he turned on his headlights and the engine would stumble, sometimes re-catching, sometimes dying. This time when it died he lost all power to the ignition switch, no matter the position of the light switch.

So in the beginning it only shorted in the on position, and now...

This has happened to me on two buses. On one of them the 30 wire from #8 fuse to headlight switch melted, the other didn't. On the one that melted the wire, I replaced the wire & it promptly melted the replacement. In both cases replacing the light switch solved the problem.

My '59 single cab is beginning to develop this problem now, and when it cuts out I reach under the dash to jiggle the 30 wire on the back of the headlight switch. Always carry enough wire with you to hotwire your bus so you won't be stranded.

Dave