Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Steven Johnson" <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Yankee bus invades the South! (Part I long)

So Ron Van Ness says:

Unlike some others..... Snip!

> was at a KOA outside New Orleans that we decided to spend the night with > showers and a swimming pool, and hit the famous French Quarter the next day. > Unbeknownst to us, what lurked at our campsite was a confederate army of > Lousiana ants that saw their chance to attack some yankee tourists. While > that night's sleep went well, in the morning as I began packing our

Hey Ron!

Was that the KOA at the east side of New Orleans? In 1980, my brother and I were there during a cross-country trip. Our first hint of trouble was the truck that drove through spraying for insects. :o There were alot of other various campers/trailers there and nobody but nobody was outside at the picnic tables. It looked really dead. We were in my brothers Mazda pickup and unloaded our gear and put out those burning spiral thingies to amuse the pests. We met another couple there that happened to be from San Diego and had been in Mexico. After some beers, they shared a bottle of the smoothest tequila I've ever tasted. Man, it was good. So we talked and related stories and enjoyed other shared 'enhancements' of the good hospitality from these kind folks. After a long while, we all retired to our beds. My brother and I slept in the back bed of the pickup with a shell on it. Well about 3 in the morning, we were slapping away at the no-seeums and finally my brother looked at me and said, "Let's get the hell out of here." So I was nominated to drive since he said he couldn't. I know for a fact that besides being tired, I was definitely still drunk. But somehow, I drove for about 1/2 hour to a cafe where we had a good dose of coffee and breakfast. That helped us get to Houston and beyond. But I'll never forget that camp ground and those friendly folks from San Diego.

Thanks for the memories. :)

Steven Sacramento, CA sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com