Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jul 1996 21:17:49 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@netbiz.net>
Subject:      FOR SALE '6? Westy

This one is local IE Morgantown WV.

This bus really saddens me, 3-4 years ago I tracked down owner and inquired and got the typical, well I've been meaning to restore her. At the time it still had enough paint protecting it such that most of the surface was still solid.

Condition Now

Late 60's I'd imagine '64-'66 Velvet Green non pop top, non walk through Westy Camper 6V looks to be a 1500 Last run '79 Body pretty rough, ie needs rockers, drivers side front fender/dog leg, probably a couple of jack points, extreme outer edges of front floor bad (not as bad as some, say to 3" in), bottoms of cargo doors, and mating sill. However the floor generally looks solid, as do most outriggers, and the interior of the rear wheelwells. Rear corners OK rust where they meet the piece behind the engine. Oddly windshields have not leaked much and dash under them in good shape. This bus had been in much better condition cause as the edges had started to rust PO had at least sprayed primer on them, but it has failed and surface rust originating at paint failure has spread rampantly since I last saw it.

The only bonus to this bus is that the interior is quite OK for its age, unfortunately the last 10 years it has sat with every one of the jaloise (sp?) openn, but most of the plywood is still in very presentable shape, closet, roof, side panels, etc. With the exception of the spice racks and the top of the ice box both of which have sustained water damage. The bed upholsery looked in fine condition and the grey rubber front mats under the seats, were in better condition than most I have seen of loafs, only minor tears.

Probably a good parts camper bus, but the right fool could restore it, it really is just teetering at that brink where if you had sentimental reasons or lived in Great Britain say, you'd fix it. Running gear is unknown, front axle still looked solid, engine, tranny are there, thats all I'll conjecture. She's sitting wheels buried 5" in the ground. I'd say $2500+ in body work if you had it done sort of condition.

Worth the $500 he's asking? He'd likely take much less. Anyone interested contact me, I'll try to get ahold of the guy, no phone number just a For Sale sign and he's notoriously hard to get from past experience.

John vwbus@netbiz.net