Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 1996 21:53:20 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      Extra long, or Vanalong

John Anderson posted: "NOW THE NEAT ONE, I WISH YOU COULD SEE THE PICTURE OF THIS THING.

'82 VW LT45TD, 4wd camper, 6 cyl Vovlo turbo diesel, low miles, many spares, $30,000

Anybody know about this? Looks like Vanagons big brother, with a raised fiberglass roof, lenthened rear end, but what might be standard vanagon nose (hard to say comparing teeny picture to the '81) certainly seems to have Vanagon grill, lights, and VW emblem. $30k a lot but looks as big as the EV based big Winnie, and this has got 4wd

Oh well in UT (801)645-7666 days (801)649-9719 eve"

Really interesting. About a month ago I proposed a friend's suggestion that I cut the end of my Vanagon Westie from the front. Then, he'd attach a section from a salvage yard donor that included the body from a little forward of the rear window measured so that the extra rear window on each side would appear spaced very like what a factory version of a longer Vanagon might have appeared. I've seen photos of his long sold extra long Dodge Maxivan done this way, and it appears like an unusually long factory model. So does this already exist in the Vanagon family of customizations? Reread the description above. Stock Vanagon rear overhang is so short that this addition still wouldn't make it conspicuously customized. Has anyone seen this done to a Vanagon based vehicle? The US manufactured vans tricked out this way aren't that unusual, but I'd surely like to talk to someone who's lived with a well done extended Vanagon. If you sight one, please get a plate number if you can and post your sighting to the list.

Thankz, John Wakefield "The first step toward wisdom is confessing ignorance."