Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 1996 00:23:00 -0500
From:         bighouse@socomm.net (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      Re: Heads/GEX SAGA

Alright, this sort of stuff makes my teeth grind. Watch:

> Herbie writes: >> From herbie@mail.westworld.com Tue Jul 30 17:16:25 1996 >> Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:16:13 -0700 >> To: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca >> From: herbie@mail.westworld.com (Herbie) >> Subject: Heads >> >> Hi David,

[...]

Implies that Mr. Dawson monitors the list. I pulled down the roster, current as of tonight, and there is no herbie@mail.westworld.com. There is nobody at westworld.com at all. It's possible that Mr. Dawson "monitors" the list from another address, but if he does, why is this the first we've heard of it? This is certainly not the first GEX problem to go public. Joel, do you have him over there?

>> In the last 4 or 5 months since I've been following the lists there have >> been about 3 or 4 problems that people have had with GEX products and I have >> resolved each one. In that amount of time GEX has sold over 1500 engines >> and 3000 heads. Where are these people ??

Fallacious. Let's assume that "3 or 4 problems" with GEX engines is truly the total noted on the lists(s) over the past five months. This is a sample of people on the lists, who bought engines from GEX, who had problems, who posted to the lists about it. This is a far, far smaller pool than the set {total number of people who bought engines from GEX and do not subscribe to the lists}.

Dawson is implying, through subterfuge, that there have only been three or four problems among 1500 engines he's sold. I doubt this very much.

[...]

>> One further observation that I would like to make... I think I read >> somewhere that a dissatisfied customer tells 7 people about his experience >> and a satisified customer tells nobody because he received what he expected. >> This number must be multiplied by a factor of 100 (or more) on the internet.

Incorrect. Multiplied 360-fold (last Friday's count) on this list alone, probably a like number on v@l, plus people who read from the web page. All of whose engines are going to die eventually and will need replacement. Which makes tap-dancing a very unwise business decision.

If Dawson monitors the list, why did David Carment have to *forward* Dawson's message? If GEX engines have no problems except the occasional abberation, why are they continually slammed on this list and v@l? If GEX's warranty is worth anything, why did Carment have to mention that there were hundreds of people watching in order to have his problem solved?

If the number of bad GEX engines is so small that it is insignificant, why is the CEO of the company occupied with damage control?

I will admit here that I am angry, I may be missing something. If I am, somebody please correct me and I will gladly admit it in public. This is CCed to GEX, and reprisals from responsible spokespersons are always welcome. ;)

--Ken 68 Westy Admin, type2@primenet.com